[Mac] Win32:Tedroo-D [Trj]

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GenevieveH, Oct 20, 2012.

1. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

2011 Mac Mini OS X Lion 10.7.5
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Parallels Desktop 7 Virtual Machine
    Windows XP, 2002 Home Edition, Service Pack Three
    Intel Core i5 2520M CPU @ 2.50 GHz
    2.50 GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

[​IMG]

Malwarebytes not picked anything up, took screenshot that day I got message...

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Do you have any Anti-Virus running on the Windows VM? I suggest you do a full scan in Windows with a free virus scanning tool (piratically all AV vendors have such tools available to download for free).

3. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

Yup, did a scan with that Avast that picked that up then. Either it is new or its somehow in bridge between the Mac and Parallels side... where Avast can't get...

nothing on that scan then, although I should note that in warnings it picked up somethings russian
    [​IMG]

whats this/how to get rid of it? EDIT: Malwarebytes don't pick it up...

EDIT 2: even got xp version of avast n let it scan, it didn't pick up the 'infection'
    not sure that it is gone/deleted fully

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

What I meant by doing a scan in Windows, was that you would actually run an AV inside Windows, not the Mac AV scanning the Windows VM.

You shouldn't let the Avast for Mac mess with the Windows partition, use an Windows based AV solution to deal directly with Windows. AV solutions for Mac aren't made to deal with Windows, they pick up Windows malware but they shouldn't touch an NTFS volume, they don't know how to deal it its permissions, they don't know if they are deleting system files, etc... They are simply not Windows aware.

Besides, I see the name SecuROM ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM ) in there, either Mac Avast is picking up on the fact that this a DRM copy protection program that may cause undesirable effects, or you installed a pirated game (Mass Effect) and that's the circumvention to SecuROM that Avast for Mac is picking up, or it's really a virus form teh said pirated version.

Anyway, Terrorizer, you also posted this on Avast forums which is the adequate place: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107005.0
    You should post your results there instead.

Btw, tedroo is teh name of a botnet.

And yes, in case you are wondering, I can read minds.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  5. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

uh, I've legit Mass Effect series... 1, 2, & 3. got 3 as pre-order. 3 required Origin, download only, as does Skyrim require Steam...

As I've typed, I got an XP one and let it scan, it didn't pick up anything infection-wise anyways.
    As for SecuROM, probably from legit FallOut 3 which didn't quite work, though I could try again... I have legit FallOut series.
    I could list all the games I have if you wish, even take pictures of the boxes etc.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I don't care if they are legit or not!

I was just referring to the potential source of the problem.

7. GenevieveH

GenevieveH Member

then let me note that Mass Effect 1 did run just fine on parallels win XP side UNTIL something PARALLELS updated glitched it up to the point of being UNPLAYABLE. Can't say I'm happy about that with Parallels