Bonjour no longer recognizes printer

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by befuddled, Oct 17, 2006.

1. befuddled

befuddled Bit poster

When I installed the trial version of Parallels, I was able to access my hp printer using bonjour. When I installed the key for the full version, my printer disappeared. I have enabled printer sharing in both xp and on the mac. I reinstalled bonjour which now sees my printer, but instead of connecting to it, it is giving the following message, "You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer." Huh? Any ideas?

2. akac

akac Hunter

This is the exact same issue a friend of mine is having. It was working just fine and now it won't. We even reinstalled Windows 2000 a second time and having the exact same issue. It will work with a printer shared on another machine, but not one shared on this machine.

3. dkossman

dkossman Junior Member

Any luck? I've got the same problem...

Is it possible to connect to a remote Mac printer from WinXP running inside Parallels? I've tried the following, neither seem to work. Note that from MacOS, i can print to these remote printers (running on another Mac on my local network) just fine. Obviously, I have printer sharing turned on on the Mac that has the printers attached. Also, using Bonjour, I can print to these printers from a "real" XP workstation on my local network. Both Macs are running the latest OS X 10.4.9.

a) installed Apple's "Bonjour" on my XP Virtual Machine. the Bonjour wizard sees the printers attached to my other Mac but when I try to add any of them, it gives me an error "the Bonjour printer you have selected is no longer available. Please make sure the printer is powered on and plugged in" and then "You do not have sufficient access on your computer to connect to the selected printer". However, I am running as administrator on XP.

b) using Windows "add printer" utility, i can attach to the printer using e.g. "\\Dons-imac\Hp Laserjet 1012" select the HP 1012 driver, and install it. However when i print to it, the jobs disappear and nothing happens.

4. danatkorg

danatkorg Bit poster

I've just had this problem as well; reinstalling Bonjour for Windows (1.03) did not help.

5. danatkorg

danatkorg Bit poster

Got it working now. Printer is connected to an Airport Express. Using Parallels on a MacBookPro. Enabled Printer Sharing on the MacBookPro. In Bonjour for Windows setup, two printers now appeared: the printer itself, and <printername>@<macbookpro>. Selected the latter. Works now!

6. dkossman

dkossman Junior Member

solved using bridged networking

i called Parallels tech support, they suggested that i switch to bridged networking mode. this solved the problem for me (see above)