Hash Key

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AustinF, Oct 8, 2012.

1. AustinF

AustinF Junior Member

Ok so I have a windows guest in Parallels 8

I want to simply type a # (Alt-3 on my Mac Book keyboard) into the guest.

I cannot find a way to do this.

How can I type a # into my windows guest using my macbook keyboard?

2. Russell Sharpe

Russell Sharpe Junior Member

Alt & 3 = #

3. AustinF

AustinF Junior Member

Pressing Alt+3 in the windows guest DOES NOT produce a # symbol, it does nothing.

4. AustinF

AustinF Junior Member

After working through this problem with support I now have it resolved. Here is what I did in the end:-

Installed a custom version of the United Kingdom (Apple) keyboard input language layout:-

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43876768/United Kingdom (Apple).zip
    (This ZIP includes the source code for the layout, ukapl.klc, and the setup, created using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator 1.4 based on the United Kingdom (Apple) from bootcamp windows drivers. Installing this avoids the need to install the bootcamp windows drivers pack.)

Note that, this is a tweaked version of the Apple defined layout to move # from Ctrl+Alt+3 to Ctrl+3 to avoid menu bar flicker.

Then back on the host, in Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Shortcuts -> (select VM) -> Profile: Windows
    I added a mapping for Alt + 3 to Ctrl + 3.

I can now press Alt+3 (or Ctrl+3) in my windows guest and get a # !!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  5. AndrewBT

AndrewBT Member

I have a fresh install of Windows 8 with Parallels Desktop 8. The hash key appears to be mapped to CTRL+ALT+3, with ALT+3 = £ sign.

So I've done a bit of mapping around and got the keyboard shortcuts to behave as I'd like.

Hope this helps!

6. AustinF

AustinF Junior Member

I am not sure in what way you think your post helps? You didn't actually tell us what you did specifically (a "bit of mapping around" does not help any reader) or what "behaving as you'd like" actually is.

Anyway, I resolved my issue as explained in my previous post, so that now Alt+3 produces a # as per what I am used to when using a mac.

7. AndrewBT

AndrewBT Member

No need to be rude, I'm sure it would help some people to know that CTRL+ALT+3 = Hash in Windows 8 under Parallels desktop 8.

Then they could have a go at Mapping around(TM) themselves using the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog under Parallels preferences to get their own desired output.

Cheers,

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    DavidC9 likes this.