Vista Problem with Boot Camp and Coherence

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by charliez, Jun 9, 2007.

1. charliez

charliez Member

Has anybody got this working? When I have my Vista OS window (Boot Camp partition), coherence does not start, clicking on Parallel Desktop -> View -> Coherence, or clicking the coherence button does not do anything to enable coherence.

Is coherence supported with Boot Camp 1.3? 1.2? or not at all?

This has been the worst install experience ever. I didn't have any of these issues when running Parallel 2.x.

I'm getting a refund for my $49.- upgrade, and $79.- full version and waiting until this and the KBDMGR.EXE freeze issues are worked out before trusting Parallels again.

2. charliez

charliez Member

Anybody? Anybody? Buehler?

3. qad

qad Junior Member

Had the exact same problem...

I had exactly the same problem you're experiencing, but was able to fix\get out of the problem. Currently I am able to dual-boot on my Vista Bootcamp 1.2 partition with both Fusion Beta 4 and Parallels 3.0

Basically, it seems to me if Parallels "stops" the Bootcamp Vista install, or 'reboots' or the shutdown is not normal, that particular installation will go bad. When Fusion subsequently tries to load the Boot Camp partition, it'll give you that blue screen of death.

The problem came up for me when my computer crashed while I was in Vista installing programs. I then used Fusion for the partition, resulting in the error. What I did to resolve the problem was to boot that partition with Parallels again, then shut the boot camp partition correctly, and then was able to load the partition without issue with Fusion.

I did not uninstall Parallels Tools.

Note the activation issues you are having is the result of not having Parallels Tools installed. Removing them will result in Vista prompting for activiation because Vista sees different hardware whenever you use VMWare or Parallels or run it natively. Removal of VMWare's Tools will result in this same activation issue -- see its release notes.

4. qad

qad Junior Member

Whoops

My above post was for this thread:
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=64675

But to answer this thread's question, yes -- I am currently running Boot Camp Vista with Coherence working. I haven't installed the drivers for Boot Camp 1.3 to test with build 4128 yet, but am about to do so.

As listed above, I am running a Macbook Pro 15" (not Santa Rosa) with Parallels 4124 \ VMWare Fusion Beta 4 on a fully updated and patched Vista Ultimate.

5. qad

qad Junior Member

I am now using Parallels Build 4128 with Boot Camp 1.3. Coherence still works.

6. charliez

charliez Member

Figured out the problem. You must complete Parallels Tools installation. Bring up the Parallels Desktop toolbar, under Actions if you see "Cancel Parallel Tools installation" that means it's not completed installation. If you've done this several times, cancel it. Then re-install (i.e. go to Actions -> Install Parallel Tools). Allow all the drivers to install, setup will tell you when done and to reboot the VM. After the reboot Coherence works.

There are still problems with Coherence after that. Moving your mouse between Vista and MacOSX apps will cause an invisible mouse pointer. You have to use the Apple Tab method to switch apps. It's pretty annoying.

Having the Vista Gadget sidebar show up is also annonying, but that's easy to fix by closing the Vista Gadget sidebar.

Coherence is not ready for production release. Too many apparent bugs. I don't consider it a value add over Parallels 2.x.

Along with other issues, I'm declaring Parallels 3.0 a bust and getting my refund.