Does Parallels 3 finally fix it so Linux actually WORKS?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CaptSaltyJack, Jun 9, 2007.

1. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Member

I'm sick of nearly every Linux distro not being able to detect the CD rom drive. Yes, I know the workaround is to set it as a Solaris 10 system, install the Linux OS, then shut it down, change it to Linux, then boot it up. But that's ridiculous.

Someone please tell me Parallels 3 fixes this. Even then.. I shouldn't have to upgrade to 3 just to get this working.. why are there no patches for Parallels 2??

2. qad

qad Junior Member

I don't understand the problem. I currently run virtualized Ubuntu servers with Parallels regularly as *production* systems and didn't have your CD issues or have to set the install as "Solaris". I did have odd time sych and problems installing the server edition of Ubuntu, but that's different from what you're describing.

3. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Member

Are we both talking about build 3188? This CDROM bug occurs with Feisty (desktop), Zenwalk, and probably others. I read somewhere that it has something to do with Linux kernel 2.6.x, and that Parallels can't detect the CDROM device properly.

4. STim

STim Bit poster

Not sure about Zenwalk and others, but in 3.0 we've been specifically working on Ubuntu CD-ROM problems. I am looking forward to a feedback of those who tried about that.

5. qad

qad Junior Member

3188, yes.... I recall the problem you are describing, although for some reason I recall I somehow didn't ever see the problem you're describing and was dealing mostly instead with ACPI runtime problems that was preventing the server edition from starting up with Ubuntu 6.0.

I do not regularly have to use the CD drive on my servers (I do not use the desktop edition or as my desktop, thus lack of need) and have not tested it with Parallels 4184. Someone else should download the trial and see if it makes a difference....