Right Alt is not mapped to AltGr

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Andre Geisler, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Andre Geisler

Andre Geisler Member

Hello,

since latest build of Parallels 8 (Build 8.0.18305) the right Alt key is not longer mapped to AltGr.
    So i cannot enter signs like []{}@€| into any vm like Ubuntu 12.04 or Windows 8.
    Is there solution? I need that characters in everyday work.

regards
    eliot

2. FrancescoL

FrancescoL Junior Member

I experienced the same issue.
    A trivial, but annoying, way to solve this is continually pressing the "ALT-GR + Your Key" combination until several characters appear, then delete the extra ones.
    I hope Parallels Team fix this bug in Parallels Tools.

Fra

3. vdiego

vdiego Bit poster

Same problem here

Yes, it also happens to me, I have to keep ALT-GR+Key continously till the character appears. Hope they solve it soon...

4. jorgemtds

jorgemtds Junior Member

I also have the same problem. Alt GR key is not working properly on any Linux virtual machine I have tried (with Unity, Gnome 3 or MATE).

5. mrh1100

mrh1100 Bit poster

Same problem here. The best workaround I've come up with is to use an external usb keyboard and give the usb device to the vm.
    Though my parallels version is 8.0.18314.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. mrh1100

mrh1100 Bit poster

I checked the Xorg input when trying to use AltGr and it is quite odd.
    Parallels is sending key events in the following order.

1. Keypress for Left Alt
    2. Keypress for AltGr (Right Alt)
    3. Keypress for the keycode typed
    4. Keyrelease for Left Alt
    5. Keyrelease for the keycode typed
    6. keyrelese for Altgr

I dont know why the Left Alt is sent at all and why the releases are interleaved, but thats what's propably confusing Xorg

7. FrancescoL

FrancescoL Junior Member

In fact, when you type AltGr + Key, the underlines appear like when you press Alt.
    Which file did you check? Maybe we can try to modify drivers by hand.

Fra

8. Thomas Hartwig

Thomas Hartwig Member

Please check if this works: Go to the keyboard layout settings options. There is an entry "Key to choose 3rd level". Select "Right Alt" there.

9. mrh1100

mrh1100 Bit poster

Wont help, at least if the problem others are having is the same as mine. (In any case it would be good idea to mention where the relevant setting is to be found, mac os config, parallels config, vm config or ubuntu. And yes, it's in ubuntu)

Assuming the problem is the same the title of this thread is actually wrong. Right alt is properly mapped to AltGr, it just sends additional wrong key codes in addition to the correct ones. If I only press and release the right alt a correct key press and key release events are sent for AltGr (or ISO_Level3_Shift)

The keycodes can be seen by running the xev utility in a console window and pressing the keys.

10. Thomas Hartwig

Thomas Hartwig Member

What is when you select "Any Alt Key"? But then you loose the left Alt key functionality. Currently my right is also working with any alt key. Have to look into it as well.

11. StaffanO

StaffanO Bit poster

Same issue here. Had ubuntu 12.04 running flawlessly on Parallels 7. After upgrade to Mountain Lion and Parallels 8 AltGr doesn't work.

Both 8.0.18305 and 8.0.18314 have the issue.

Tried with fresh install of 12.04 on new vm, same issue.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/115051 is interesting but doesn't work. Does anyone know what the KeyAction engine is?

Possibly related: it seems impossible to fully install parallels toos. I get mouse pointer integration, copy-paste, energy saving etc as if it is installed but after every boot I get the notification that I should install Parallels Tools.

12. cruzzer

cruzzer Bit poster

I have the same problem. I've created a ticket and we will see what happens.
    Host: Mac 10.8 VM: ubuntu 12.04 layout: Swiss

For me this workaround worked:
    Settings > Shortcuts > System Shortcuts > "Send System Shortcuts" = Allways

But with this is can't hotkey to my next space, as it's being captured by the VM. A bit limiting, but at least i can programm again with the VM.

Let me know what your experiences are...

13. ArtoP_

ArtoP_ Bit poster

Workaround to set 'Send system shortcuts: Always' really work on Windows and Linux. Thanks for sharing!

14. StaffanO

StaffanO Bit poster

The workaround helped for me too. What a relief.

Not being able to cmd+Tab is annoying so I'm hoping for a real fix.

15. Andre Geisler

Andre Geisler Member

Great,

setting Settings->Shortcuts->System Shortcuts->Send System Shortcuts to "Allways" works here too!

16. michael390

michael390 Bit poster

I have the same problem, in Windows 8 is all working correctly , but in Ubuntu there is no chance.

I set the Mac Layout in Ubuntu and did everything (before I saw the posts here and the workaround) .

I hope they are fixing the problem...

Another Problem is, that I can not use the left STRG and ALT Button , there are many Linux shortcuts on it....

Now I try the workaround and hope an update is coming soon...

17. YanaYana

YanaYana

18. cruzzer

cruzzer Bit poster

Thanks you for your post, but NO that does not solve the problem.

It worked perfectly before the update. Sadly I had to update because before when opening a VM it would always place it on the first space, which was super annoying. Always would have to go back an place it where i wanted it.

So I got a response back from Parallels support on my ticket, but the gist of it was to reset my setting and reinstall the tools. They didn't really read my ticket. This did not work as it's a fundamental FLAW, that did not exist before the update and is not a settings problem. In windows XP i do not have this problem.

Or has anyone of you found a better solution then the:
    "Settings > Shortcuts > System Shortcuts > "Send System Shortcuts" = Allways"
    one?

cheers

19. cruzzer

cruzzer Bit poster

Hi guys

Here is a short update on the situation with the ticket concerning this problem.
    So I got a response from parallels, (even by phone) that they have created a new ticket with their developers and will now work on this. So now it's all about waiting.

Cheers

20. StaffanO

StaffanO Bit poster

To me it seems like the latest release is not tested with Ubuntu. I run standard desktop 12.04 LTS with zero customizations of appearance or X settings, and there are lots of basic issues that come and go depending on if I have 3D acceleration on or not, performance or battery life various checkboxes ticked or unticked.

My suggestion is that Parallels list the linux distributions and releases that they QA every release on. I would hope Ubuntu latest and Ubuntu latest LTS is always on that list.