RetinaMBP recent XCOM Crash

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bed@abednarz.net, Nov 9, 2012.

1. bed@abednarz.net

bed@abednarz.net Junior Member

Previously I have enjoyed the game XCOM:EnemyUnknown on my 15" RetinaMacBookPro running inside Windows8 with Parallels 8 (with the latest Parallels update). Today however, whenever I try and run the game the virtual machine crashes (not just a blue screen etc, but the VM vanishes and Parallels throws up a crash message).

Now what is different since the last time it worked a few days ago are two things:
    - XCOM patch update (~7th November) which installed after my last game
    - RetinaMacBookPro Graphics Update 2.0, which installed yesterday, which also updated all the graphics drivers.

I have lodged a support ticket 1519835 but just wanted to post here incase anyone else was getting a similar issue.

Have tried switching the VM to use Directx9 instead of 10, and playing with other various options, to no avail. I'm guessing the rMBP graphics update is the cause here.

Hopefully there will be a solution soon!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. serv

serv Forum Maven

When Parallels shows a crash message it suggests to send a problem report. Could you please crash it once more, let it send the report and post report ID here.

3. bed@abednarz.net

well sheeeeet, I loaded it up to crash it, and it didn't! This is after crashing about 10 times in a row earlier. The only difference this time was me switching Parallels BACK to DirectX10 for the VM (which it always had been on).

I quit the game and tried to load it again, and now once again it is crashing the same way over and over without fail. Problem report submitted with reference to this thread - ReportID 19600598

cheers

4. bed@abednarz.net

more info! using gfxCardStatus, if I force the rMBP to stay on the integrated video card, the crash does not occur. So it is definitely related to the discrete video card. its not quite as smooth of course, but is playable on low settings.

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

Thanks for the report. The crash occurs deep inside OS X NVIDIA driver. We'll dig into it to see what can be done.
    You've a good point with possible workaround, too.

6. bed@abednarz.net

I can confirm that in the latest Build 8.0.18345 the crash is gone!

(there was nothing in the fix notes regarding it though)