Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac - End-of-Life

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Chris@Parallels, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

End-of-Life (EOL) Policy Statement:

Parallels provides Technical support for the current version of Parallels Desktop for Mac and the previous two versions.

Support and maintenance for Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac will end after the full release of of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac on September 4, 2012.

End of Support

With the General Availability of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Parallels will stop supporting Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac. This means that:

Parallels will no longer release patches or updates for Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac;

Parallels Support will no longer accept tickets to address questions or issues for Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac under any standard support plan coverage.

Customers who are using Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac will not be eligible for upgrade pricing for next version of Parallels Desktop for Mac.

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac customers who wish to take advantage of all the new features of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac after it is released will need to purchase a full copy of Parallels Desktop for Mac.

Customer who purchase an upgrade version of Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac under our Tech Guarantee will automatically receive and upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac with the general release. For full details of the Parallels Tech Guarantee, please visit www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012

2. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Have Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac - Want to Upgrade to Latest Mac OS

Have Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac - Want to Upgrade to Latest Mac OS.

I have Mac OS 10.6.8 and want to go to latest version (Mountain Lion???).

Can I update from PV 5 to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac and then update to latest Mac OS with 64-bit features?

Is it true that PV 5 -> 7 upgrade does NOT qualify for a free automatic PV 8 upgrade? (I assume that PV 5 CANNOT be upgraded to PV 8, correct?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  3. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi Judger48193,

Thanks for your questions.

Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac can be upgraded to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac but you would have to find a legacy copy at an authorized re-seller as Parallels no longer is selling that version on our website.
    The Parallels Tech Guarantee has ended as of October 31, 2012 which was the program where upgrades from 7 to 8 were available.

I have sent you in a private email upgrade instructions should you need any assistance.

Chris

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

PDM5 CAN BE upgraded to PDM8, by that I mean the program can be upgraded without passing thru PDM7. As for paying for the license, you would have to buy a full copy of PDM8.

5. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Chris, thank you for the reply. If I should decide to skip an upgrade from PV 5 to PV 7 and instead do a full install to PV 8, will PV 8 install over the top of my current PV 5 with no bad consequences to my critical Win XP VM?

6. NickFLondon

NickFLondon Bit poster

Upgrade from PDfM 5 to 8

I am running Windows XP within PDfM 5 on Snow Leopard and am about to move to a new computer running Mountain Lion. I understand that I no longer qualify for a discount on purchasing PDfM 8. However, if I purchase PDfM 8 at full price, is there a supported software upgrade path from PDfM 5? Or do I have to create a new virtual machine and reinstall Windows XP as if running PDfM for the first time? Are there any instructions for upgrading to PDfM 8 from 5?

7. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Been There Done That

Nick, it sounds like you are doing exactly what I just did: PV 5 -> PV 8 and upgrade (must be latest) Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) to Mac OS 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion - "ML").

There is no upgrade from PV 5 -> PV 8 so you need to buy a full PV 8. I downloaded ML from the App Store menu choice in my Mac Finder menu. You have to register in the Apple Store in order to buy stuff like ML (the "mere" $19.99 price puts Windows upgrades to shame) and I had to register in order to use PayPal to pay for it. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had on a web site while I purchased stuff, but this is a separate topic.

Doing a full install of PV 8 is no big deal. First, I totally backed up my critical Win XP VM to an external drive just in case. I do this backup once a week and this was an extra back up just before modifying Parallels. I got a PV 8 download from Parallels, so all I had to do was click on the download package and it got done.

But before you upgrade I suggest, and maybe Chris or Andrew could comment, that you upgrade the Mac OS to ML FIRST. Even though the VM's will not work with ML until you upgrade to PV 8, it appears that the ML upgrade steps on your PV 8 install and I had to re-install it anyway. So I figure that I should have done ML 1st and then PV 8.

Note that my HP 6700 OfficeJet printer which I just bought did not have a new driver for ML, but the software update to ML did apparently download a new driver that works well. I also had some printer problems in the XP VM that I can't explain but I fooled around and finally got it working (somehow).

Hope that this helps. If I had followed the above advice and had a functional Apple Store/PayPal account these upgrades would have worked like a charm, except for the ML download from Apple which is very large and takes a very long time, of course.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

(I'm not Andrew) You should upgrade PDM first and then OS X.

9. IceAxe

IceAxe Bit poster

Updates from 4-5-7-8 - But can't install on new MacBook

My Parallels purchase path was Ver. 4, 5, Upgrade 7, Upgrade 8. I've sold my old mac, and am now trying to reinstall everything from a back up HD to my new MacBook Pro with MountainLion.

My problem with Parallels is that I can't install version 8 upgrade as it is an upgrade version.
    I can't install version 5 as it won't install on MountainLion.

So how can I get Parallels installed on my MacBook Pro? I just bought the upgrade in anticipation of this move, so I don't think it's fair to have to buy a whole new version. I just need a way to get the install path started.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

10. IceAxe

IceAxe Bit poster

Allow credit for useless product?

I bought the upgrade to Parallels 8, in anticipation of my laptop arriving and being able to use P8 right away as it is a main application for me. Now you are telling me I am really a P5 customer because I used the upgrade path ?

I purchased the P8 upgrade less than 3 weeks ago. Given that this product wasn't used, and was purchased in good faith of it working with Mountain Lion as it says it does, but no where in the purchasing process did it say I had to be the purchaser of a full copy of P7. I think that a refund or better would be a credit towards the purchase of a full version, as that seems to be my only option, would be a reasonable request.

As a customer since P4, I would hope that you would honor this request.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks.

11. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi IceAxe -

We have emailed you directly to the email address you used to register in the forum.

Chris

12. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

I'm doing the same things & these answers help. I purchased ML at the Apple store while in open training so he helped me just a bit. Then I asked & he said their wifi speed was around 4 mbps while mine at home is slower so decided to use their faster speed since it is such a large download--which they warned me about. So I have it downloaded but not installed yet.

But I had been holding off on upgrading to ML (from Snow Leopard) since I was on Parallels 5. But the last couple of times that I had opened it (not using Parallels that much any more since I don't need windows 7 much) I got a pop up for an upgrade for Parallels 4.0 & 5.0 users. But then when I decided to upgrade I couldn't find that one so made the mistake of purchasing the upgrade from 6 which then I read won't work. But then I did find the upgrade window.

So now I need to I guess return the wrong upgrade from 6 & switch to the upgrade for 4/5. I filled out a form from the link from the email so hopefully they will get back to me quickly so I can get the right upgrade. But I also wanted to use my new backup drive which has a partition for Windows on it & I will plan on alternating back up drives, but I guess that works better in ML.

I have my bootcamp partition w Windows 7 set up as my virtual machine. I'd also like to make the Bootcamp partition so the windows portion is smaller but I guess that is a real major change so won't attempt it now.

13. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi Kathi,

Just popped you the email from my Parallels account to discuss.

Andrew