Issues with upgrading Parallels 2.5 to 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ymilord, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ymilord

ymilord Bit poster

Just did the upgrade from 2.5 to 3.0. Now ALL of the VM images (SCO Linux, WinXP, Win Vista & Suse Linux) I have are giving me this error message (obviously the *.hdd files names are going to be different, but they all give the same error message)

Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:

File /Volumes/Nakayasumi/3rd Party OS's/Windows XP/winxp.hdd cannot be used as a hard disk image.

I reinstalled 3.0 four times - No Dice.

Is there work around? Patch? Fix?

Now this has happen at the worst possible time - I need these images for software development work, and I have customer that asking for a bug fix (ASAP) for application that runs in WinXP; Now I am going to have to drive back to my office (2hrs away) to get my other MBP thats running 2.5.

Thanks Parallels.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

In four hours drive time you could re-install 2.5 and be back where you were.

3. ymilord

ymilord Bit poster

I guess you mess the warning during the install of 3.0 that it upgrades the VM images and will not be useable in 2.5 (or older).

Been there done that.

4. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

Is 3.0 Available?

I prepaid for 3.0 some time ago but have received no product or information about how to download it.

If the public release is available, please send me the URL and relevant activation codes, or refund my money.

5. emental

emental Junior Member

Did you get this warning when installing Parallels Desktop only? If yes, your VM HDD files are not converted yet.

They convert on first VM power on. Did you see a warning about conversion on the VM start? Or just that error message about invalid HDD?

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I read all all the documentation before I installed. I made backups of my VM's first. I also have the VM's saved on dvd's in case of disaster. The warnings were pretty hard to miss. Do you have no backups anywhere handy? If so that does make it difficult to recover.

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

John - go to the download tab at the top of this page. It has the disk image ready to download. You want build 4124.

8. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

What about activation keys?

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If you didn't get your new key when you purchased the upgrade it may have been lost in spam filters. That happened to a lot of people. In my case they landed in my junk filter, but I run the mail servers here and previously whitelisted Parallels using every address I've ever receive mail from.

Andrew has been very helpful here and may be able to provide some assistance.

10. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

Spam filter? No. I exempted (whitelisted) all parallels emails from my filter a long time ago.

11. ymilord

ymilord Bit poster

Yeah I have backups, in my office in Tampa - Where I just got back from.

Looking around the forums seems like upgrading to 3.0 was a bad idea.

I am now back to 2.5; 3.5hrs and $7.50 in tolls later. The only reason I did the upgrade was a the reduce cost to do the upgrade (got like 3 emails saying it was 39.99 so I figured what the hell) - And the fact it was not labeled a 'Beta' and was a 'actual' release.

Total time waster.

12. PeterCarruthers

PeterCarruthers Bit poster

I have just paid $79.99 for a second copy, after not having received my activation key for the pre-release price I paid a few weeks ago. Methinks there is a business process issue unresolved.

13. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

I guess I will learn from your experience and not spend the time since v2.5 seems to work well enough - although I really would like to get the activation key I paid for. It's really an issue of doing honest business.

If I don't get the key in another week or so I will push for a refund.

14. justflybob

justflybob Member

dkp, I know you are trying to be helpful here. You have provided excellent advice to me from time to time and I do appreciate it. But, the fact remains that many of us who pre-ordered 3.0 from Nova Development STILL have not been sent our activation codes through email or snail mail.

I have called them three times, and sent an equal amount of emails requesting same.

The first phone call to them was rather unnerving, as I had to tell the customer service rep over and over that the release version was really out and posted on this web site. They refused to believe me and actually had some manager guy by the name of Brian call me to try to tell me the same thing. It was absurd!

I kept telling them "Hey, I'm staring at the stupid download button right now and it does in fact download 3.0!" They STILL didn't believe me.

Finally, I sent them screenshots of both the download page, and the opening dialogue box for the upgrade install.

I pre-ordered the upgrade on June 2nd. I called them the first time on Thursday, June 7th.

I haven't heard from them sense! :mad:

The good news? It made such a bad impression on me that I took a look at VMware Fusion over this weekend. I am forced to use many Windows-only proprietary apps for work, so creating a whole new VM and installing all of those apps again was a bit of a chore. The interesting part? The install was flawless (I have yet to have that happen with Parallels) and this is a beta release! They even have a tool that converts Parallels VM's to theirs, though I chose not to go that route.

So, while I am happy that Parallels exists, methinks it is about time that I jump ship. Parallels allowed me the opportunity to realize and convince my company that using a VM on a MacBook Pro 17" was not, in fact, the work of the devil. For that I am grateful.

However, the complete lack of customer support (I was dumb enough in my first few days to pay $29 and change for a telephone support call that did NOT result in a fix), apparent lack of respect for their installed customer base (the marketing method used to promote this upgrade was sleazy at best) and other issues have made the choice easy.

The final straw for me? People here in the forum posting personal and childish attacks on those who were angry and feeling like they got ripped off, or least used. dippyskoodlez and others here gone way out of line to insult people who dared to speak ill of the sacred cow. Were they angry? Heck yes! But so what? With few exceptions did I read anything other than anger towards the company, not any individual. And most of that additional anger was due to responses where the responder didn't bother to read the details of the original complaint.

And where are the forum mods?

For me it has never been a matter of price of the original purchase, or cost of an upgrade. But, come on, folks! Upgrades are supposed to fix things, not create more problems.

So, for me, the experience has cost me the original $79; plus one support call $29; plus the upgrade $39.95 (did I mention that I have already paid and still don't have my activation key? Yeah? Thought so).

Parallels, and most everyone here, I wish you well on your journey. But this is one "short bus" that I refuse to ride any longer.

15. lloydi

lloydi Junior Member

I have also not received any download instructions or activation keys, having pre-ordered. And no, they have not fallen into spam filter, the emails simply have not arrived.

I've put in a support note on the site elsewhere but that was 3 days ago. No response yet.

I have emailed order-support@parallels.com with the info too.

One way or another, through *one* of these channels, I'd like to get a response.

Thanks