Are there general USB problems with 3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by kuebler, Jun 9, 2007.

1. kuebler

kuebler Member

I come from 3188 and upgraded to 3.0 on my Macbook C2D. To my surprise I can no longer attach USB devices. With 3188 not everything was ok, but it ran reasonably fine with a variety of USB devices. Now I always get the message

"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again."

This is independent from whether I have Autoconnect enabled, or whether I let the system ask me what to do. I did not test this with all possible USB devices, but for example my Nokia N95 did run fine with the Nokia PC suite under 3188, but now there is simply no way to escape the above message.

The misbehavior is so extreme, that I find it hard to imagine, that the Parallels folks have spoiled USB completely. So I ask myself, whether I have set up something fundamentally wrong.

Can anybody help me with a hint?

2. PeterCarruthers

PeterCarruthers Bit poster

Yep, I have exactly the same problem. My USB headphones worked for a few minutes after I rebooted, and then died with that same message. And this is the main reason for the upgrade on my side.

3. kuebler

kuebler Member

Problem solved!

Installing Parallels Tools a second time solved the problem.

Thank god, they really appear to have some problems with 3.0 :confused: