Blurry Text & Images Win 8/Parallels 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AndresC, Nov 13, 2012.

1. AndresC

AndresC Bit poster

I have a 2012 11" macbook air. I have both Win 7 and Win 8 installed in Parallels 8. While in regular mode (not coherence), all text and images in Win 8 seem blurry, but absolutely fine in Win 7. When I switch to coherence mode, the blurry text and images in Win 8 are absolutely fine and clear. I have a similar setup with a 2011 MacMini with 27"inch Apple display and the issue does not exist with Win 8.

Is this a known issue with Win 8? Anybody else experiencing this?

2. AndresC

AndresC Bit poster

I'm assuming the blurring is intentional as per the following KB? http://kb.parallels.com/en/114658

Is it possible to turn off the scaling when in window mode ? I'm not concerned about Metro apps not functioning.

3. mikel51

mikel51 Bit poster

I am noticing a similar issue with my macbook pro retina. I just upgraded to windows 8. When Launching quicken, there is a change in scaling of the screen image, but the bad news is that the text is all slightly blurred. When i go back to my saved windows 7 machine, it all looks sharp. I tried all combinations of best display for retina and changes in scaling for full screen. They text is blurred in all cases :(

4. AndresC

AndresC Bit poster

I emailed support regarding this issue. As per the KB, it appears that whenever screen resolution is below 1024x768 within a window, the resolution will be scaled and hence blurry. This scaling is due to the fact that Metro apps will not work below a resolution of 1024x768. I asked if there was a way to turn off this scaling (hence disabling metro apps), but that question was ignored so I'm assuming the answer is no. This issue is not present when using Win 7.

The end result is if you want to work in window mode on a smaller screen (like the 11inch Macbook Air), sticking with Win 7 is better than using Win 8.

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

You can set OS type in VM configuration to Windows 7. This will disable Windows 8 specific features including minimum resolution limit.

6. mikel51

mikel51 Bit poster

that worked for me in eliminating the blur on my macbook pro retina using high resolution...
    thanks

7. Patrick Mast

Patrick Mast Junior Member

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a Macbook with retina display. What is your experience with Parallels and retina Display? I use to work full screen with Windows. Does Parallels 'simply' use 'Big fonts' or is there a smarter system involved to handle the retina Display?

Can you please send me a screenshot of WIndows in action on the retina display?

Thanks!

Patrick