Best way to copy Boot Camp partition?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Spiff, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Spiff

Spiff Bit poster

Just installed Boot Camp (1.3) and Parallels (older build, not new one). Was wondering how do I make a workable/viable copy of my Boot Camp partition in case something goes wrong? This is a work machine, and it will get clogged with work related software. I want to be able to restore a clean, working OS if something goes wrong.

Can I merely drag and drop? Or, do I need a program (such as SuperDuper, as an example) to make a viable copy? Thanks!

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

backup boot camp

If your partition is FAT32 then the best solution for me is to use Disk Utility to create a Disk Image. But upon restoring the image, rather than using Disk Utility, open up the Disk Image in Finder and drag and drop the contents from the Image into your clean Boot Camp partition.

If your partition is NTFS, there are a number of other ways to do it, which I will not mention at this time. I use a Bart PE disk I created with PE Builder, with Drive ImageXML (all free). There are probably better and easier ways of doing this by now, but since this worked for me very early on in the show, I've just kept it.