Parallels 8 upgrade on Windows 7 - NO SOUND in windows now (no audio device installed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MichaelByrns, Aug 31, 2012.

1. MichaelByrns

MichaelByrns Junior Member

I have been running without any trouble with the last version of Parallels. Yesterday I installed the version 8 upgrade. I now have no sound in windows. OK. I reinstalled my MAC from a time machine backup, sound again. Then I tried thisd morning again. No sound. I reinstalled Parallels sound. Still nothing. Here are the details:
    Audio Device is disabled
    It shows in devices as Parallels Audio Controller (i tried reinstalling the driver - no change). It shows that it is working properly
    The little sound icon in windows shows "No audio device is installed"
    I have Sophos Anti-virus running on the MAC enabled - perhaps this is a problems. Anti Virius in windows as well.

2. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

3. MichaelByrns

No sound on upgrade to Version 8

I have sent in the report as requested. I see that others seems to have had the same problem as me and one fellow suggested a windows 7 repair install, but did not say how to do it.

4. RWTech

RWTech Junior Member

Wierd!

That's interesting... I was using PD7, and upgraded to PD8. There were more troubles created by this, so I have since uninstalled PD8 and gone back to PD7. The residual problem in my VM's is that I no longer have sound.

79460-38765 is my support code. I think there are two submissions here, one while I had PD8 installed (hopefully there's some info in there about why PD8 did not work for me at all) and I just did another one in PD7 with no sound...

5. RWTech

RWTech Junior Member

?

any update on this issue? No sound on my Win8 VM is getting troublesome!

6. MichaelByrns

Parallels Verion 8 AND now Version 7 -No sound

I sent in my file showing the problem with Version 8 and no sound. I heard nothing. I went back to version 7 and today did an update to version 7. The Tools again killed my sound. What is it with this software? No again I have to go back to an earlier backup and lose all my work. I would like to hear the answer for this problem.

7. juzci

juzci Guest

Folks,
    anyone, can I have a report ID for this issue? Could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

8. MichaelByrns

Report ID

I believe that the report ID was 17766633. I was on the CHAT system with another lady today ID [Parallels #1468947]. I had moved back to Version 7 from a backup and again today just installed the version 7 update which also killed my sound after the parallels tools were installed. She told me to reinstall version 8 again, which I did and uninstall the tools and then re-install them, which I did and still does not change anything. I installed the latest version 8 update.

9. lostinspace

lostinspace Bit poster

Same problem with sound

Here is the ID 18031636 for the problem, if you can help

10. Actio123

Actio123 Bit poster

Same here

I've downloaded as a trial as thinking of switching from virtual box. However I'm not getting any sound so it's not looking good.

Parallels please resolve. I'm reluctant to purchase before I know I can get sound to work.

Cheers

11. asking_user

asking_user Bit poster

Same Issue here

The sound is not working.
    What can I do????

12. Actio123

Actio123 Bit poster

Fixed it a bit of a long winded way but it worked.

I downloaded VMWare Fusion 5 trial and converted virtual machine to VMWare. Sound worked here. I then converted back the VMWare VM to parallels and sound was restored.

Now to decided which software to use VMware or parallels!

13. lfparedes

lfparedes Bit poster

No Sound - Parallels 8 & Windows 7

I've just upgraded Parallels 7 to Parallels 8 but I have no sound.
    Will this problem be solved?? I'm about to return this copy of Parallels and buy VMware
    since I really need sound in my Windows 7.

[edit]
    Report Number: 19983275
    [/edit]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  14. MichaelByrns

Fixed my no sound problem the hard way

I spent a very long time on the phone linked to my laptop with one of the techs, who was not able to fix it. No matter what I did, the sound was gone in windows. In the end, I decided to approach it the hard way. I redid the laptop from scratch, which took a long time and was a pain to re-install windows and Office as my licences had now been used up. I had to call Microsoft on both of these and was able to get it done. Now I have everything up to date and sound. Not a very impressive way to solve the problem, but seemed to be the only way. It was a real pain.

15. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Dear Forum,

I was going to purchase Parallels Version 8 and upgrade from version 7 until I saw this issue. I assume it has not been resolved yet by parallels? It appears you having to find your own solutuon to this..

I'm currently running: Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with Parallels 7 (latest update installed) and Windows 7 in my virtual machine. I really cannot do without sound.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards
    Kevin

16. MichaelByrns

No sound in windows ? Maybe a problem for just a few people

If this was a big problem, there would have been a lot of us who had this issue, but from reading through the posts, there are only a small amount. There must be some sort of conflict with something in windows. I lost the sound only at the point that the program installed the Parallels Tools. I tried everything to fix it without success. I was running the latest build of the OS, and Parallels v7 without issue. BTW, after I decided to redo the laptop from scratch, I let it first install the update to version 7 that they put out. That also killed my sound at the same point in the installation, so it isn't just a version 8 problem. I was going on a trip for a month and could not deal with it, so I time machined it back before the problem and went that way until I returned and could start over again. Again, I say, this was a real pain to do. I had an upgrade version of windows only, so a pain to get it installed then the windows considered it another install, so problems with the serial number for that & office. If you have some windows programs with single copy allowance, you might have problems installing again. On the plus side, the fellow from their tech support who is in RUSSIA was very helpful, and his English was good. In the end he wanted me to email him a mirror of my whole machine to fix my problem, which I of course refused to do. I was not that thrilled either to have my computer controlled by someone in Russia, but I watched everything being done. I would have prefered to have spoken to a tech in America. If I have further problems, I might switch to something else. Oh, and I know that almost all the tech support for everything is outsourced to these far away countries. At least this guy was nice, and I could understand his accent, mostly some fellow from India or Pakistan speaks with you, and it is hard to understand.

17. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your response and comments. I decided to go for it and my upgrade seems to work fine so far... Certainly I have not experienced the sound issue you and a few others have had.

Kind regards
    kevin

18. CarlisH

CarlisH Bit poster

It's been known that "no audio device is installed" issue will occur after you upgrade to PD8 and then downgrade to PD7.

In such cases, please uninstall the Parallels Desktop Tool from Control Panel->Program and Features (or equivalent location).

After removal of the PD Tool, reinstall it from the virtual machine drop menu->Install Parallels Desktop Tools.

This will solve the problem in most, if not all, cases.

Best regards,
    Carlis Hsu

19. copcast

copcast Bit poster

Parallels Tools Reload Worked

Thanks for the tip - I uninstalled and reinstalled the PT per Carlis' instructions and I it worked for me. I have sound. I am at work and I can't check the input sound but I am willing to bet it is fixed too. I will advise if it is still a problem.

20. rschumaker

rschumaker Bit poster

Parallels Tools Reload Worked for Audio Out But Not In

I have to back up on my previous post. Reloading Parallels Tools solved my audio out issue but my audio in is still doesn't work.