Windows Media Center Support in 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by scrytch, Jun 7, 2007.

1. scrytch

scrytch Junior Member

Hi,

I have Media Center 2005 installed as a virtual machine in Parallels, and whilst everything in regards to the operating system works fine, when I run the Media Center application I am getting the error "You Video Card or Drivers are not compatible with Media Center".

With the new DirectX 9 support, I was hoping this would work. Has anyone gotten this to work OK?

SWSOFT/Parallels team - can you let me know if this is something you can check? Developing Media Center apps needs this if I'm to do it on Parallels.

Thanks,
    Shane.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  2. muka5001

muka5001 Bit poster

Yep, i second this, waiting for media center video card driver support in parallels, are we there yet?

3. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

For now we have no full DirectX 9 support, just partial DirectX 8.1 support.

4. AlanH

AlanH Pro

There are three factors to consider:

1. Parallels provides DirectX 8.1 hardware acceleration, not 9. I don't know Windows Media Center, but if it needs DirectX 9 it will fail.

2. Parallels' software can't make your video hardware any better than it is. If you have Intel integrated graphics hardware, eg a non-Pro MacBook, a mini or a low-end iMac, then it may not provide the necessary graphics hardware support.

3. If you have upgraded from an earlier version of Parallels then you have to switch DirectX support ON in the VM graphics config, as it defaults to OFF.

[Edit] X-posted with wonder_mice.

5. scrytch

scrytch Junior Member

Then this is probably the issue.

I have a MacBookPro, and under BootCamp Media Center runs brilliantly.

One of the first things I did is went through the new preferences before booting, and turned this on immediately.

Oh well... I guess I just have to wait for the swsoft/parallels team to get their DirectX support up to a level that can make this work. If you guys have any idea how long this will take it would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Shane.