Torchlight 2 - Crashing in Parallels 8 under Windows 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WAYLIFE, Oct 30, 2012.

1. WAYLIFE

WAYLIFE Bit poster

Good evening!

*** Full disclosure, this is the ticket I have in with Runic Games and Parallels ***

I have been playing Torchlight 2 in Windows 7 on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2 using Parallels 8 for about 10 hours of gameplay. It played PERFECTLY!

This past Friday, I upgraded the Windows 7 VM to Windows 8 Pro, purchased from Microsoft. After reading a Parallels alert that "upgrading to Windows 8 was not recommended, I went ahead and performed a fresh installation, downloaded Steam, installed Torchlight 2, and I was on to playing 4 hours of the game without a single hiccup. In fact, it seemed to play a bit peppier than on Win7 in Parallels.

On Sunday (the 28th), the Parallels software updater recommended that I update the software with a new patch (8.0.18305). This patch (http://kb.parallels.com/115024) was supposed to correct a bunch of problems with Windows 8 through Parallels.

Ever since the Parallels latest patch, the game freezes and causes the OS to crash when trying to accept rewards or new quests. Basically, any time I need to click a Green Check Box to move on, once I click on it, it freezes with the above result. I can reboot and use the OS and other applications. ConnectWise (.NET based PSA software), and MS Office are the only other applications beside Steam on my Windows 8 Pro VM.

I have also submitted a ticket with Parallels, and my most recent response below may clarify my explanation of the problem with a potential clue. Please read below:

##########################################################################

Latest message to Parallels support:

I have been all over the internet and can NOT find anyone with a similar issue. At least they aren't reporting it. This leads me to believe that it is a problem with Parallels. If you read my report(s) completely, you will see that I have tried this on multiple operating systems under Parallels. I have reinstalled Steam and just the game itself on both Windows 7 and Windows 8. I have a suspicion that something in the Parallels patch for Windows 8 has corrupted the localized database for the game and uploaded the corrupted file(s) to the Steam server.

This would cause any other synced game file to fail if in fact the corrupted files were synced from my Parallels instance to the Steam cloud and then back down again. Which is why I think the Windows 7 test failed in the exact same way that Windows 8 started failing after and ONLY after the latest Parallels patch.

The only time this happens is when I am playing the game through Parallels.

##########################################################################

Thank you for considering this issue, I can't imagine that I am the only one experiencing this.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. pl1ght

pl1ght Bit poster

I am running a clean win8 install and am also a new user of Parallels 8. Torchlight 2 also does not work for me. This is on a macbook air 2012 i5(ivy bridge). I get insta crash when launching from steam. So it would seem to be related to the last build/patch as you stated.

*edit. I am able to get it to run when I am actually on the win8 desktop full screen. It will not run on another space.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  3. WAYLIFE

WAYLIFE Bit poster

Yes... I am downloading the newest version in a few minutes. I don't think it's a Windows 8 problem since this happens exactly the same way in a Windows 7 / Parallels 8 session.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. WAYLIFE

WAYLIFE Bit poster

OK... So... If you are having any issues with TL2 under Windows 8 in Parallels:

Just update to the latest patch as of this thread... Build 8.0.18314 (Revision 813278; October 31, 2012)

It was in fact an issue with Parallels. YAY!! I can play!!!

5. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I am having the same exact issue (under two VMs - one running Win 8 and one with Win 7) and my Parallels is - according to the program - updated to the latest version. Build 8.0.18345 (Revision 820589)

6. jharvey

jharvey Bit poster

Crashes for me after I accept the first quest, every time. Windows 8 Pro on a clean install. Running the latest patch. 8.0.18345 (Revision 820589).

Pretty annoyed I can't play this awesome game....

7. jharvey

jharvey Bit poster

Uninstalling the latest patch just fixed my issue, I would try that if anyone else is still having a problem with crashing.

8. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

"the last patch" for Torchlight II or Parallels 8?
    And BTW how do I remove the patch? Thanks.

9. jharvey

jharvey Bit poster

Sorry, uninstall the latest parallels patch. To do this just run the old parallels 8 installer over the new one and it will uninstall it. When I get home I can give you the exact version number if you need it.

10. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Thanks. will try hat when I get home.

11. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Could not download an earlier version of Parallels 8 but someone else - with a different problem in a different thread - suggested using Time Machine to go back to an earlier install (before the update), and that worked perfectly.
    Had to reinstall Parallels Tools, but so far everything - including Torchlight II - works.

12. jharvey

jharvey Bit poster

Awesome!

Happy Gaming.

13. Nulltorque

Nulltorque Bit poster

I am having the same issue

I am running Mac OSX Snow leopard with Parallels running Windows 7 and Torchlight 2 crashes whenever I attempt to accept a quest (same issue initial poster was having). I will attempt to roll back to a previous version of Parallels via Time Machine (pre November 30th) and see how that turns out. I am only on the trial version so the updater is not available to me just yet (won't buy it if it doesn't work with my games). I'll post my outcome so it is useful for others that may get this issue.

14. Nulltorque

Nulltorque Bit poster

Looks like that did not fix the issue. Looks like I may have to see if tech support will allow me access to the latest patch so I can finish my evaluation of their product for purchase.

15. Nulltorque

Nulltorque Bit poster

I rolled the installation back to 10 days ago and that seemed to be far enough back to get past the problematic updates. The game is now functioning normally again.