Urgent: USB device not working after update of P8 to build 8.0.18345

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by spachner, Nov 28, 2012.

1. spachner

spachner Junior Member

Dear Parallels,

I update P8 to build 8.0.18345 yesterday. Guest OS is Win7. Now my FTDI USB2Serial adapters are not working any longer. Windows state that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I haven't changed anything just updated Parallels. All other USB devices are working. I cannot work anymore. I am totally stuck. I am working for years with the USB device under parallels, something must be wrong with this new P8build.

How can I revert to the previous P8 build?

Plase help!

regards

Stefan

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. Alexdaft

Alexdaft Bit poster

3. Peter19

Peter19 Bit poster

Hello,

I have same problem

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
    Back to the last Version, it is ok!

Peter

4. Peter19

Peter19 Bit poster

With Time Machine.

Peter

5. BayardC

BayardC Member

Not only FTDI...

...but also my external virtual sound card, a Tigertronics Signalink USB.

Sadly, I did not do a backup of my PVM file, and it appears that I need to go through Time Machine
    and hope for the best. However, I am prepared to pull off my "valuable" data (pertaining to my ham
    radio stuff, which is what I use Parallels and Windows7 for) manually, and then completely re-install
    Parallels and Windows7 if I need to.

Having retired from a major computer systems vendor (which was purchased by another company,
    which in turn was purchased by a major purveyor of expensive printer ink) as a software QC engineer,
    I can state flatly that I am totally unimpressed...

Once burned, twice shy, and to think that Parallels was highly recommended to me by a couple of
    knowledgeable friends in the industry.

Hopefully, Parallels will issue a fix for this problem very shortly (i.e., within a few days) - even a
    reversion to a previous build would be satisfactory - otherwise I may decide to seek out a competitive product.

6. grcook

grcook Bit poster

Same issue with ftdi

Exact same issue with ftdi plus slower that the desktop 7 I just upgraded from.

Spent 4 hours on phone with support (which despite this thread was unaware) trying to resolve issue no luck (reloads, reinstalls, et.) - Run both XP and Win7 and both exhibited the same issues. Definite problem with this build. Ftdi serial is one of the main reasons I run Parallels.

cleaned it all out, reloaded desktop 7 and restored backup pvm files. All work great. Would've been in real trouble without the backups. Never tried an earlier version of 8. The problem is real.

7. BayardC

BayardC Member

Thank you for making the call and hopefully spurring them into fixing the issue. I just
    hope that the new build can be downloaded and installed on top of the old one (i.e.,
    an "upgrade"), which would save me hours of fussing with backups. As I indicated, this
    is primarily for a hobby, so my available time is constrained, but it does affect my ability
    to provide emergency communications - i.e., Winlink2000, etc.

8. Alexdaft

Alexdaft Bit poster

To "solve" the pb, I have installed the FTDI Driver on MACOSX and I create serial port on the VM config.
    But there is a limitation you can create only two ports max and I need 4.

9. Ryan DeCorby

Ryan DeCorby Bit poster

No USB Camera's after update

After the update, I have no iSight Camera, or the use of my USB scope camera. Something got messed up. Hopefully fixable soon.

10. spachner

spachner Junior Member

To keep you informed what happened in the mean time:

I contacted Parallels support which answered:

"As I understand from the problem description : " After updating to the latest build USB device is not getting detected " May be there is conflicting driver software with the USB. Please revert to the build 18314. On your Mac go to spotlight on the top right corner of the Mac screen -> in the search field type .dmg if you see Parallels 8 . 18314.dmg double click and install the that build. Please update the status of the issue"

I replied:

"thanks for your help, but I cannot find any file named "Parallels 8 . 18314.dmg" as you wrote. I also searched for files matching "*18314.dmg", I searched the whole disk through. Please provide a download link. Please answer in http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=267718 for all the people who had run into major trouble with this build, too."

Now comes the funny part from Parallels:

"Thank you for your reply, Am sorry Stefan I tried to get the link for the build 18314 but its all been updated online with the latest. Please check with the people you know who are using the parallels for the download link. If I get the link I would mail you the link. We apologize for the convenience caused to you regarding this issue. Have a nice day."

So as a paying user one has to help themselves. Isn't that great!

So I helped myself and restored the previous version of "Parallels Desktop.app" from my Timemachine hoping that this works without installing doing the usually .dmg installation procedure. And finally it worked out and I am back again to a working Parallels. What a hazzle.

Interesting is that Parallels is still rolling out the buggy version 8.0.18345.

Thanks your very much Parallels.

regards

spachner

11. ReneKl

ReneKl Bit poster

Experiencing the same

I also get an error 10 in the device manager when connecting an FTDI interface.

12. BayardC

BayardC Member

I worked around the issue by reading

http://kb.parallels.com/114449

and then clicking on one of the links it offers and downloading
    ParallelsDesktop-7.0.15107.796624.dmg
    and installing it. I don't know at this point if that's the latest/last build
    of Parallels 7, however - they're rather opaque about that, generally speaking.

But, it did install properly, saw my existing Windows 7 installation and used it,
    and once I tweaked one or two minor configuration settings, I was back on the air.

Their marketing pop-ups for Parallels 8 never mentioned that it was incompatible
    with Windows 7, and the lack of sufficient regression testing is quite obvious. I
    am not going to be migrating to Windows 8, and therefore won't be using Parallels 8.

13. mikeruoc

mikeruoc Member

Same thing Error 10 on many of my USB devices including iSight Camera. All worked great before this update!! Please advise on a fix!

14. spachner

spachner Junior Member

15. mikeruoc

mikeruoc Member

Rolling back now! Thanks!!

16. Alexdaft

Alexdaft Bit poster

Thank you very much Spachner !!!!

17. mikeruoc

mikeruoc Member

Ahh all my devices work! Parallels yet another black eye. Going to take a look at Fusion. Love Parallels but I need this for work and this kind of stuff costs to much time.

18. Comatose

Comatose Bit poster

Ditto... was trying to set up new Logitech G700 in Windows 7 VM, which failed miserably (mystical error message about not being able to update the mouse). Unfortunately, the timing of it was such that I had successfully accomplished this a few days ago in the same VM for one G700, so when I tried with another G700, I thought I had a broken mouse. Luckily I also have VMWare Fusion, and I remembered that I had updated Parallels recently, so I confirmed that USB worked in Fusion, and downgraded to the last Parallels release (since I used MacUpdate's desktop app to update, I still have the previous downloads sitting around). Working fine now.

Methinks in future I'll be monitoring the forums BEFORE upgrading... every new release seems to break more than it fixes for me :(

19. Wilford

Wilford Bit poster

I posted this in another group, but I see that it belongs here.

Having a similar problem. After the last update to PD8 Build 8.0.18345, my USB Audio CODEC stopped working. (external USB sound card) It shows up yellow with an error code 10, in win8 device manager.
    Before the update of PD8, it worked just fine.

Reinstalling the windows drivers does not work.

Guess this has something to do with Parallels Tools. I tried to reinstall this, but this didn't help.

20. Wilford

Wilford Bit poster

I used the link, and installed the earlier version and my USB Codec is up and running.

I hope this will be fixed.

I miss feedback from Parallels in this thread...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012