Running COMMAND in XP sometimes stalls

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by netdog, May 1, 2006.

1. netdog

netdog Hunter

Keyboard action can seem to be dead, then the characters previously type come through in a flurry. Very jerky. Sometimes fine.

2. brian

brian Junior Member

command runs terribly on real Windows machines too. Use cmd, not command.

3. netdog

netdog Hunter

ran both. both gave problems

4. brian

brian Junior Member

The only time I've had problems in cmd.exe is when running other legacy apps like command.com or edit.com. Are there any specific apps that cause problems?

5. IMNiles

IMNiles Junior Member

Funny, I noticed that too and chalked it up to other weirdness (this was with b4). It worked, but key response was unbelievably slow, like several seconds per letter.

6. chrismasto

chrismasto Member

Please fix command.com/DOS window

First off, I'm loving Parallels and can't wait to own the released version. But the main reason I need it is to run some horrible old DOS software from within Windows XP. For some reason, this almost completely paralyzes the VM. The easiest way to reproduce the problem, as a few people have posted, is to start command.com. (Not cmd.exe, that works fine, but as soon as a DOS program is executed, cmd turns to command.com and the same freeze occurs.)

Now, I know command.com isn't high on the popularity list, but I'd be immensely grateful if the Parallels team could look into this problem. It is, at the very least, a lurking potential for accidentally killing one's Parallels session. Maybe it's even easy to fix, or points to a more important underlying bug. In any case, now that the forum isn't so overloaded, maybe this plea for help won't get buried as quickly.

7. ronmtec

ronmtec Bit poster

Sorry to break in... here's one... I'm running an ancient Foxpro database on a mapped network drive. Unacceptable slowness. Most of the time it makes Parallels grind to a halt and I have to reboot.