Virtual Hosts, Parallels 3, Shared Networking

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dylansm, Jun 10, 2007.

1. dylansm

dylansm Member

Hi all, so far, things seem to be running fine with 3. I'm having a problem with my virtual hosting now, however.

I used to be able to view virtual hosts on mac by setting my entries in my PC's hosts file to point to my gateway address (it used to be 192.168.2.1). Now I can't view any of my vhosts. I'm now trying to use 10.211.55.1 (the default gateway for shared hosting) and it isn't working.

I am able to view the root of my server by going to http://my-computer-name/ and that will suffice for the time being, but it's a pain.

Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[Edit for more info]
    One more thing: I feel like I should choose Host Only to get this to work, but I'm unable to get Host Only networking to work at all -- no network connection at all.
    [Edit]
    I gather Host Only should never have an outside connection, so what I really want is to be able to use Shared Networking, having the gateway address resolve the way it used to in 2.5.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  2. dylansm

dylansm Member

Solved. There was just something wrong with my Host Only settings. And yes, that is the best setting for viewing multiple virtual hosts on host machine. For what it's worth, I had to uninstall, reinstall, and then renew my IP address in the networking preference pane in OS X.

I've seen some people posting about this and complaining that you have to get your host IP address of the moment and populate your guest hosts file with that address. That would be a real pain, especially on a laptop; there's a much better way. Choose Host Only as your networking mode. Then use 192.168.2.1 as your entry for each virtual host in your hosts file. This should work...