Christmas 2006 offer turned down for upgrade (should be free according to the offer)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tokevino, Jun 8, 2007.

1. tokevino

tokevino Bit poster

I've contacted Order Support, but I was told to pay for the upgrade while I am having the upgrade protection for one year from original purchase date.

I sent a reply email back to Order Support, but I haven't got any response from Parallels.

Is it a mistake on the Parallels side? I am pretty sure I've registered my 2.x copy. I haven't receive any 3.x activation key in email either.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. hiya

hiya Bit poster

I am on the same boat and found it puzzled that why my activation key does not work in the new version 3.0. This was the exact quote I read when a Parallels promotion email was sent to me:

"""
    Buy Parallels Desktop for Mac by December 23rd 2006 and get all major upgrades for your product FREE for 12 months following your purchase date!
    """

I cannot understand how version 3.0 is not a "major upgrade" at all - when I emailed the Order Support, even the reply stated "Parallels Desktop 3.0 is a major upgrade for Parallels Desktop".

If there are some tricky terms&conditions that stated otherwise, I have yet to find it at all and I would be very disappointed if it is such a case.

3. imaffett

imaffett Bit poster

There is another email "faq" that states you are eligible for the upgrade (I'm in the same boat).

If they do not honor it, contact your state Attorney General and let them handle it. I'm sure the last thing Parallels wants is states making a case against them.

4. Commander Jameson

Commander Jameson Bit poster

I too am in this boat.

My activation email from December says:

"Parallels Desktop for Mac (with free upgrades)" as the product.

Parallels people: is there any intention to honour this offer?

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

6. Peter Whysall

Peter Whysall Junior Member

In what timeframe can I expect to receive a product key for 3.0?

I bought Parallels Desktop in December with "Free Upgrades".

Your policy on upgrades and updates is contradictory.

At http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/faq/8/#8-8 you define clearly the difference between updates and upgrades.

In the forum post, you blur this distinction by talking about minor "upgrades" (i.e. what the product FAQ refers to as an "update") and major "upgrades" (i.e. what the product FAQ refers to as an "upgrade", and what I believe I purchased based on the information available to me at the time).

I imagine that much confusion is ensuing from this.

7. hiya

hiya Bit poster

Sorry I dont understand the "jargons" used in the FAQ like "upgrade protection". If I assume my purchase with "free major upgrade for 12 months" is the same as upgrade protection", then I have not received any new key for version 3.0 yet.

When can we expect to get one PLEASE?

8. tsch

tsch Bit poster

I also bought during the Christmas offer. I'm going to guess that they're just behind sending out the new product keys to customers who are supposed to get them. If I haven't gotten mine in a week or so, I'll start some serious kvetching.

9. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Dear customers
    If you didn't get the product key yet please contact to order-support group by email

10. tsch

tsch Bit poster

thanks for the update.

11. Peter Whysall

Peter Whysall Junior Member

Key received and product activated! Hurrah!

Thanks for the speedy response.

12. tokevino

tokevino Bit poster

I got the activation key today. Thank you for all the information and help.

13. hiya

hiya Bit poster

Got mine too. Thanks.