SmartStart - How to Disable? Security Concern

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DerekS, Jun 8, 2007.

1. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

I just wanna make sure.... Am I going to see Windows Application popping up under "open with" inside OSX as well ?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Yes it is.

3. DerekS

DerekS Member

For my end, I really don't want to see that either. I want Windows to be Windows and OSX to be OSX.

4. Andrew @ Parallels

We will make an option to disable it in nearest update.

5. DerekS

DerekS Member

Thanks Andrew!

6. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

How do I turn it off now if I can't wait for the next release ?

Thanks

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Here's what I did that seemed to work:

1. Uninstall Parallels 3.0.
    2. Install Fusion Beta 4
    3. Migrate Parallels VM to Fusion

No more SmartStart.

8. DerekS

DerekS Member

I was going to try that, but how did you migrate the VM from Parallels to Fusion?

9. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Set security to Medium-high (deafault) or High level. In both cases all sharing Mac to Windows will be disabled.

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Follow the instructions on their Beta bbs page.

11. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

I have the same problem is there a solution for this

12. hazmat

hazmat Bit poster

Me, too!

Agreed -- this "feature" is pretty craptastic. Imagine my surprise when I tried to open a CSV file on my Mac, and my Mac noted that I was opening Notepad for the first time, and did I want to proceed.

I got rid of this annoyance by running Parallels Tools as someone suggested above -- choose "Custom" and then deselect the shared apps. I also reset the shared apps from the Parallels Desktop menu.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  13. dan

dan Member

An easier fix for your problem with the mistaken application launching would have been to select "Reset Windows Applications" from the Applications menu in Parallels.

That said, however, I would like to add my thanks to the Parallels team for including an option for disabling this new function. I, too, would just as soon not see a listing of Windows apps on the OS X side although it is fairly trivial bit of clutter; nor am I particularly excited at the prospect of using the Start menu as an OS X application launcher. I will welcome having the option of turning this off.

As for the rest of this thread, I don't see what the big deal is. If you have turned off Local and Global sharing, the most "harm" a piece of Windows malware could do would be to open an OS X application. That's no harm at all.

Of course, if you turn on sharing, then it would become possible to run malicious scripts on the OS X side. That's a pretty significant "if".

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  14. hazmat

hazmat Bit poster

I'm having a craptasm -- plain doc icons in OS X

I did, in fact, do the "Reset Windows Applications." Today, however, I had to do it again. Not only that, but my Word and Excel icons in OS X are now blank document icons, even though they're correctly associated with Word and Excel for Mac.

I tried re-launching the Finder to no avail -- still blank document icons.

So, the "big deal" is that I don't want frakking Windows or, by extension, Parallels jacking around with stuff unnecessarily on the Mac OS.

15. Pharrett

Pharrett Member

some of you people are really quick to jump on parallels folks. They've said they're going to add what you ask for in the next release. They said there is currently a way to disable sharing between OSs. What are you guys going to do when VMWare comes up with a feature you don't like? Jump ship before giving them a chance to respond?

16. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

Why are email attachments opened in word on windows

is there any way to stop all doc files from Mac email from being opened in word for windows.

17. Andrew @ Parallels

Run Word in Windows, right click on its icon in Mac dock, click on SmartSelect menu and choose DOC documents to be opened in Mac.

18. drapsag

drapsag Bit poster

How is this function even useful? If I have a document created in Excel on my Mac, why would I even want to open it with Excel on my PC? I have Office on my Mac and yet when I open a document on my Mac created by Word on that Mac, Word on my PC opens. That's retarded. I can work around it but I still question how this "feature" is useful. If I want to open a Mac Excel document with Excel on my PC, what's wrong with simple file sharing to accomplish this?

19. frogywill

frogywill Junior Member

FYI That doesn't work. SmartSelect still comes back on even after clearing the openWith database. I can still drag and drop files too... (not sure if that's falls under "sharing").

Not installing SmartSelect in the tools doesn't not stop associations in OS X either....

:(

I guess I'll live with it until an upgrade.

20. mikemike

mikemike Bit poster

Andrew: you stated that "Automatically assigned only those documents which didn't associated with any Mac applications. Such as XLS (if Office for Mac is not installed)."

I wonder if there is a bug in the implementation. I have Office 2004 for Mac installed, including Microsoft Word. Then I installed Parallels. Parallels now opens as the default application for all my Word documents, to the contrary of your assertion above.

But never mind. And let's forget for a moment about a Windows app that launches a shell script that deletes my home directory. Let's talk about pretty icons instead. As per your recommendation, I right-clicked and turned the SmartWhateverSomething feature off. What happens now is that even though my Word documents are back to Mac Word 2004 as the default application, the icons are blank. Can you let us know if there is a workaround or a fix to get the Mac Office icons back?

I'd just like to add that I am gobsmacked at the degree of arrogance to assume that Macintosh users with Mac Office installed might wish to have Parallels open as the default for these documents. It's a great feature, I agree, but offer it as an option that is turned off by default and that users can choose to turn on. People enjoy the Macintosh platform and are passionate about it precisely because there is a culture of respect by Macintosh developers both for user's intelligence and their preferences that is often lacking on Windows - where applications just take things over and do as they wish.