Broken Games - Speak up here if you want to see a particular game working.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by krayola, Jun 10, 2007.

1. erhcho

erhcho Bit poster

another vote for NWN2

2. bbf

bbf Junior Member

I'd like to see RealFlight G3.5 (haven't tried the full version yet, but the demo won't run - it's DirectX 9) - that's really the only game I go to BootCamp for...

3. mster142

mster142 Bit poster

civ city rome would be nice

4. bombastinator

bombastinator Member

resident evil 4 works better in parallels than boot camp

I say this because it wouldn't run at all under vista on my macbook pro (core duo)

This is not to say it works very well. There appears to be some sort of major mouse problem. It's close enough that it might be fixable however.

5. perfection

perfection Junior Member

Counterstrike and Condition Zero!!

I tried playing it with OpenGL and everything i see is white in the game!?!
    What is going on?!? Can someone help me with this problem..

THANKS!

6. Nightwolf

Nightwolf Member

Guild Wars runs with DX 9 effects. But its horrible slow.. and no special effects!

I would like to see carmageddon TDR 2000 to run with parallels. It segfault if the video check starts.

7. jeroenhmg

jeroenhmg Bit poster

Morrowind (Elder Scrolls 3)

I am still hooked on this game, and playing the expansions.... I would love to not have to reboot to play this relatively old DirectX game.

Better support for Half-Life 2 please, I know its been asked for a gazillion time by now....

8. airolson

airolson Junior Member

I'd dearly love to see the Dark Engine games (Thief 1 & 2, System Shock 2) working.

9. cetuma

cetuma Member

Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)

10. ChrisO

ChrisO Bit poster

System Shock 2

Half-life 2 I haven't tested this
    System Shock 2
    Thief
    Thief 2

With various patches and what not, I can get into System Shock 2, with wonderful sound, and the proper game speed, and even with the 3D objects all in place, but with scrambled Lite-Brite textures. :confused:

What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to the mind?

11. Wick3d

Wick3d Bit poster

Guild Wars

So I have already seen a good number of people on here talk about Guild Wars, and I think I can speak for a rather large portion of Mac online gamers when I say it really needs to be supported.

12. chuckf11

chuckf11 Bit poster

Neverwinter Nights 2

Another vote for NWN2:) :)

13. Senad

Senad Bit poster

Civilization 4
    Civilization 4: Warlords
    Company of Heros

All I want and I'm a happy camper :).

14. forgie

forgie Member

Red Alert 2 would be great. It runs, but takes about 4 minutes to get to the main menu screen - once it gets there, the menus run fine. once in the game, it's LAGGY. about the equivalent of a PC running at 3-500Mhz at a guess... The mouse keeps dropping out of the VM when trying to scroll at the edge of the screen. If parallels is going to support games, it's going to have to sort out some system for configuring the way that the mouse interacts with the edge of the VM screen - the current behaviour makes gaming unusable in windowed mode (the graphics were screwy in full screen).

15. ttlgDaveh

ttlgDaveh Bit poster

Stick my vote in for these games too :)

16. blairmacintyre

blairmacintyre Bit poster

I personally would love to see Second Life work. I know there is a Mac client, but we have a modified Windows client (that doesn't work on the mac yet) that I need to run and rebooting into Bootcamp is annoying ... :)

17. jeadhob

jeadhob Bit poster

Vanguard Saga of Heroes would be nice to see running, but i know it is direct x 9.0c so that may be a while.

18. prescor

prescor Bit poster

Disney's ToonTown!

On behalf of my 9 year old son, I place a vote for Disney's ToonTown.

We were both dismayed that it doesn't work. Older brother tends to monopolize the PC. :)

19. jfranzen

jfranzen Bit poster

If I may...

I'd like to throw the City Of (Heroes/Villains) games into the ring. They're one of the very few games I still keep windows around for. Also, I bought the Steam version of UFO: Afterlight since I've been an XCOM addict for over a decade. Alas, it doesn't seem to work well within P3.0. I can get to the main menu, and set options and what not, but once the actual 3D engine initializes, kerplunk, kerplooey.

And, on another note, I decided to run a an openGL benchmark, Cinebench (http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/cinebench_e.html), to see just what a difference in performance I would see in P3.0 vs OSX. Unless I'm missing a setting somewhere, there doesn't seem to be ANY 3D acceleration of OpenGL inside parallels. Example numbers for my MBP 2.16 w/2G RAM (Windows XP SP2 gets 1G of that) are:

P3.0 (Build 4128) in Coherence Mode:

OpenGL in Software mode = 652
    OpenGL in Hardware mode = 430

P3.0 (Build 4128) in Full Screen Mode:

OpenGL in Software mode = 659
    OpenGL in Hardware mode = 408

P3.0 (Build 4128) in OS Window Mode:

OpenGL in Software mode = 671
    OpenGL in Hardware mode = 441

OSX 10.4.9:

OpenGL in Software mode = 1533
    OpenGL in Hardware mode = 3064

As you can see, not a subtle difference in any mode. Definitely something off. If anyone has suggestions on OpenGL optimization, I'd love to hear it. Also, something else to note is that there were no textures visible during any of the test runs in Parallels, but there were in the OSX native run. Alas, I do not have a Boot Camp partition on this system anymore due to some Leopard testing I did, so I can't offer numbers for that config.

If I may be so bold, perhaps the Parallels Lads could add this lil benchmark tool to their QA suite. I've found it very handy in testing a system's OpenGL performance...

J^2

20. ahintz

ahintz Junior Member

I'd like to see Gametap run - it is mostly older games, but the interface won't even load - gives a video card error message