Showstopper Bug: Cisco VPN

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by schmidp, Jun 1, 2006.

1. serv

serv Forum Maven

MicroDev,

Can you also dump VPN client parameters to see if its order preference is bumped too
    sudo cat /Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/StartupParameters.plist
    Which version of the client are you using?

2. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

There is no CiscoVPN directory name above, but there is a /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/ directory. That contains the following:
    {
    Description = "Parallels VirtualMachine drivers";
    Provides = ("Parallels");
    OrderPreference = "First";
    }

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

Oops... My mistake. Can you do
    sudo cat /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/StartupParameters.plist
    then.

4. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

Duh, I should have thought of that... Anyway here you go:
    {
    Description = "Cisco Systems VPN Client Kernel Extension";
    Provides = ("CiscoVPN");
    Requires = ("Network");
    OrderPreference = "Late";

Messages =
    {
    start = "Starting Cisco Systems VPN Client Kernel Extension";
    stop = "Stopping Cisco Systems VPN Client Kernel Extension";
    };
    }

Also, to answer your earlier question, I'm using Cisco VPN 4.9.00 (0050) on the Mac side.

5. serv

serv Forum Maven

Well... Bumping OrderPreference didn't work because /LibraryStartupItems/ are executed after /System/Library/StartupItems/. I didn't have a chance to try but should have thought of that.
    Anyway, adding
    sleep 1
    /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart
    at the end of start function in /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels should work this time.

6. diurnate

diurnate Bit poster

Reinstalling VPN resolves issue

At least in my case, reinstalling the Cisco client (4.9.0) fixed the problem. I had tried uninstalling/reinstalling Parallels, but that didn't work. Reinstalling the Cisco client did - I can now start the VPN and Parallels in any order I no longer get error messages from the Mac Cisco client.

On the other hand, networking in the VM is unbearably slow with the VPN up on the host, but thats a different matter.

7. dacarson

dacarson Junior Member

I have the same issue being discussed and can try things out. this path does not exist for me:
    /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/Parallels

David

8. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

Hmm, re-installing the Cisco client in OS X didn't do anything for me.

9. MicroDev

MicroDev Hunter

That did the job. Here's where I put it:
    StartService() {

# Added per serv@parallels to fix Cisco VPN driver load order problem
    sleep 1
    /System/Library/StartupItems/CiscoVPN/CiscoVPN restart
    }

10. spacecowgurl

spacecowgurl Bit poster

I just purchased the most recent production version and now VPN does work with the same error. Tried the sugestions and still get the same error.

Amy

11. iduff

iduff Product Expert

Wow, I've been using Cisco VPN 4.9.01(0030) and Shimo Version 1.0 (199) since 3188, all thru the 3.0 beta, and now with 4124, never had a hiccup.

I have found it doesn't like having both wired and wifi connections active, but that's independent of Parallels.

12. russv

russv Member

I have no trouble with 4.9.01 on my Mac and it's been working through all builds. One thing I've done ever since the NAT was introduced is to disable the "host adapter" by unchecking it under network preferences. However, that was more to allow the EVDO card I use to work with VPN than anything else - I tested and having it checked still allows the VPN to work as long as I'm using wired or wifi.

13. spacecowgurl

spacecowgurl Bit poster

Yeah. I've been using beta versions until today and have no issues. Kind of wierd. All of the test versions were great and then, after it releases... bam...

14. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

I also have never had a problem with 4.9.00 (0050) or indeed 5.0 under xp in my guest vm through any of the releases since i started with parallels back at builds in the 1800s

15. spacecowgurl

spacecowgurl Bit poster

I completely uninstalled the latest version and VPN works now. Definitaly something with the latest version. Bummer.

16. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

same here...i use cisco vpn client all the time. just installed parallels 3 and cisco stopped working. i tried reinstalling vpn client (latest version) but didn't help. i guess i'll uninstall parallels so i can get vpn working again. bummer.

don

17. nvrmore100

nvrmore100 Member

See this thread:

http://forums.parallels.com/thread12457.html

Particularily page 2, as it seems that most of us have a strange interface that is killing VPN. Take a look, its a very simple fix if that is your issue. :cool:

18. don montalvo

don montalvo Hunter

thanks...i posted there. :)

don