Hard drive password

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Fabiod, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

Hard drive password (BIOS access)

Hi, is there any way to set up a hard drive password in the VM using Windows 7? I couldn't access BIOS and couldn't find any info about it either.

I want to use my VM to work and my company has a security rule for that.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. MLittleR

MLittleR Member

3. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

I did. It adds a password in the mac side to the hdd virtual machine file, but not in the virtual hard drive inside this file.

I guess the only option is to install windows in bootcamp, access BIOS, add the password, and create new virtual machine in Parallels using the bootcamp installation.

Anyway, thanks!

4. mmika

mmika Pro

Access BIOS on MAC?
    Virtual machine encryption is exact feature you need.
    It encrypts the content of virtual disk.

Also you can install Windows 7 into the VM and enable EFS (file system encryption) for selected folders or windows partition. Try BitLocker with key on USB media.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  5. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

Hi mmika,

Actually, Virtual machine encryption it's not the solution for me. My company has a SW that checks if the HD password is set, and this option didn't work.

I guess the question is: is there any way to set, add or simulate HD password for Windows HD in a Mac at all?

Thanks!

6. mmika

mmika Pro

mmm... What kind of checks your SW does? Is it well known software or some sort of
    private proprietary software?

There is now way to set password on virtual HDD from virtual machine BIOS side.

But: there are a lot of other things that you SW is not expecting...
    1. As I said you can encrypt only your VM on MAC side, i.e. guest OS won't see it.
    2. Also AFAIK there is an option to protect some actions under VM with password, i.e start/stop/edit etc.
    3. You can use guest OS encryption, EFS in case of windows or other third party SW, you can set password on guest bootloader. But looks like you software is DOS like =)
    4. You can turn on filevault on your MAC. And all data will be encrypted.

7. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

It's a private proprietary software and it checks if the option in BIOS for password is set, just that. No encryption or anything else is needed. If there was a way to fake that so the sw thinks the password exists...

Well, thanks for your help anyway. :)

8. tbiegner

tbiegner Junior Member

same here

Wel I would like to know the ame thign I have the same problem.
    Has there been a solution so far?

9. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

No solution, sorry. I tried other foruns and virtual machine apps and no luck as well.
    If you happen to find the solution, please remember to post in this thread.
    Thank you!

10. mmika

mmika Pro

Fabiod, I've sent you a private message. Check it, please.

11. Fabiod

Fabiod Junior Member

Found the solution!

The SW my company uses is capable of knowing if it's installed in a VM machine, and it will skip the HDD check with one condition: as long as the HD where is installed is encrypted. I used Mac OS built in option FileVault and now it shows as compliant in the HDD check.

Hope it helps others.
    Thanks!