3.0 w/Vista - Tools install crashes

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Zildjian26, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Zildjian26

Zildjian26 Bit poster

UPDATE: It appears that Tools is in fact not completely installed, as I cannot drag and drop files between the VM and OS X.

Parallels 3.0, brand new VM of Vista Ultimate. Problem is I cannot complete the install of Parallels Tools. The install of Vista went smoothly, but the Tools install almost finishes and then Parallels itself (not the VM) crashes. I get the OS X program closed window with the option to re-open. I've tried installing Tools in Safe Mode with the same result.

I'm able to boot the VM after the failed Tools install, and everything looks like it might be OK. The Tools icon appears in the System Tray, mouse and clipboard synchronization works fine, Coherence works. The only thing I've noticed is that Parallels Tools is not listed in the Programs list in Vista.

My Mac: Mini upgraded to Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz T7200, 2GB 667MHz RAM, 80GB 7200RPM drive (VM is on this internal drive, not on an external drive)

VM config: Vista Ultimate, 1GB RAM, 32GB drive, bridged ethernet

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  2. rkowal

rkowal Junior Member

Same problem in XP

Hi,

exactly the same symptoms with my XP installation on Parallels 3, on a MacBook. The VM seems stable enough, but this nevertheless makes me apprehensive to start using it for real.
    Anyone any ideas what might be causing the problem?

Robert

3. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello rkowal
    Thank you for response. We need more information about your system.

4. rkowal

rkowal Junior Member

Hi Ankou

I'm running Xp SP2 with Parallels 3.0 on a first-generation MacBook with 10.4.9 and 2 GB RAM, 512 MB allocated to the vm.

I cam across a post over at MacUpdate (http://www.macupdate.com/reviews.php?id=21252&pid=176619), which suggests trashing the contents of C/Program Files/Parallels/Parallels Tools, and then doing a custom reinstallation of the tools WITHOUT "Shared Applications". Has worked for me! Everything working as expected now (although of course I now don't have that functionality). Looks like there might be a bug somewhere in the installation of that function?

Robert