Boot Camp and Windows Activation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by davidwsica, May 1, 2006.

1. davidwsica

davidwsica Member

I just purchased a copy of Windows XP Pro that I want to use with Parallels. I'm also considering trying out Boot Camp. My question is that can I have the same copy of Windows XP installed via Boot Camp and Parallels and have both copies "Activated" so that I can receive updates? Anyone out there with this scenario?

My initial thought is that you probably can only Activate with the Boot Camp installation OR the Parallels installation but I'd love to proven wrong.

Thanks,
    David

2. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

I've found that you can activate a single copy of XP three times. So you could install in boot camp, parallels and have one spare. However, if you have any problems and need to reinstall more than once then you'll be stuck.

That said, if you do run out of activations you just call MS up and tell them and they re-enable it or whatever so you can activate it again.

3. niccas

niccas Junior Member

Since the hardware seen by XP is different when you install in Parallels and Boot Camp, you probably won't be able to activate over the internet for the second install (I did Parallels second and couldn't activate it automatically). When you try to activate, click the link/button to activate over the phone, call Microsoft and tell them you're reinstalling on the same machine. They'll ask for the really long activation code and give you one back. From what I've read, this is within EULA as you're not running concurrently on multiple machines, but don't quote me on it..
    I have since deleted my Boot Camp partition and am running solely in Parallels, for what I need this is the best solution for me...

4. iocomposer

iocomposer Member

Out of curiosity, how did you delete the bootcamp partition?

5. davidwsica

davidwsica Member

Well, it sounds like it's possible then to install/activate via Boot Camp and Parallels though a little tedious to have to call MS. Did they ask you why your hardware has changed so much on the same machine?

It doesn't seem like it should violate the EULA as it's installed on the same 1 machine though I'm not sure MS would see it that way. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if MS claimed you needed separate licenses.

6. bcjenkins

bcjenkins Member

Through the Boot Camp utility in OS X.

7. niccas

niccas Junior Member

No, when I said I was reinstalling on the same machine the rep proceeded to ask for the activation code.. I did explain I was using Boot Camp and Parallels - not sure if the rep really knew what I was talking about tho! And yeah, it's tedious to go thru that process....

That's kinda what I was expecting, I'm not sure what MS' official response to this would be. Long term I will only have one install, and now that will be thru Parallels. But I did Parallels last and needed to activate it so I could download some s/w updates from Microsoft and be sure my s/w was working before i blew away Boot Camp.

8. daveef

daveef Member

i did the same thing with XP

Yes , I called and said i was reinstalling cause i had not decided which one would end up on same machine , i had to give them a 54 number code from my machine and then they gave me a 54 number code to replace it

think they make it that hard so you wont want to do it very often lmao

then i found out the windows from beta 5 was still there in the library folder

so when i did 6 did not have to get it again

hope i dont have to call again, was hard to understand the microsoft help person from india

Love outsourcing