Parallels w/ Vista & Boot Camp Fails During Pre-Boot

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by trite, Jun 8, 2007.

1. trite

trite Bit poster

Forgive me if this question has already been answered, I did a search but I couldn't find anything. I recently installed Parallels v3.0 and was quite excited about the new Vista support using my Boot Camp drive. Unfortunately it does not work for me.

Some background. Parallels with Vista and a virtual drive works perfectly. Booting into Vista using Boot Camp works perfectly. I have never tried using Parallels with XP and Boot Camp as I do not own a copy of XP. My Boot Camp drive is NOT the same as my startup drive. I have three internal drives one of which has been partitioned into two volumes: a Mac one and a Windows one (could this be the problem?). I have attempted the fix in the sticky thread "If Something Goes Wrong with Parallels on the Mac Side". I have attempted using Boot Camp v1.2 as well as Boot Camp v1.3 both leading to the same error. I would really like to reclaim the disk space used by the virtual drive by only having to have a single install of Vista, hopefully I can make this become a reality.

Here's what is shown in the Parallels screen when I attempt to startup from my Boot Camp partition.

If I then attempt to "press any key" I enter a grub command line interface and then I'm completely lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. gierran

gierran Bit poster

Same problem here. Vista ultimate boot camp partition, same error message, except I'm using vista loader 2.1.2, drops into grub and can't do anything.

3. sekou0

sekou0 Bit poster

same again

does anyone have any ideas on this?? need a resolution for it.

4. trite

trite Bit poster

Similar to this Problem

I'm starting to wonder if this problem is similar to the problem seen here http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=10926.

I think this because if I then type 'configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf' into grub I get the same error: 'Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS'.

My partition is setup like so...

Code:
    $ diskutil list disk1

/dev/disk1
       #:                   type name               size      identifier
       0:  GUID_partition_scheme                    *232.8 GB disk1
       1:                    EFI                    200.0 MB  disk1s1
       2:              Apple_HFS Nyx                108.0 GB  disk1s2
       3:   Microsoft Basic Data Erebus             124.5 GB  disk1s3
    disk1s3 (Erebus) is my bootcamp drive.

My question is, if I make Erebus smaller, and Nyx bigger, so that Erebus is fully on the other side of the 128GB limit, and then do something similar to what was done in that post, can I make this work?

5. mironp@gmail.com

mironp@gmail.com Bit poster

same error

any solution ?

6. richlin71

richlin71 Bit poster

same problem here. dead in the water. hope someone can help!

7. glenn

glenn Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem described here. Exactly the same text appears when I try to get Parallels to boot from my boot camp Vista install.

The install is on a separate drive to Mac OS X. I am using Parallels 3.0.4128.

8. jeffsure

jeffsure Junior Member

Add me to the "Me too" list. It started after Vista (in Bootcamp) did a security update. Upon reboot after the updates were installed, it hung. I had to shut it down manually. :( After that, no joy. I can boot Vista in Bootcamp, but it gives me a few errors first.

9. Frinkruds

Frinkruds Bit poster

Figured out how to fix this after tons of research!

Copied from: http://forums.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=2029550

Basically what you have to do is reinstall the Vista Bootloader, and here's how you do that easily.

First boot into Windows then follow these instructions copied from the link above.

Get EasyBCD 1.6 here for free -- http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_2_219_21892.html

So the low down, seems that some Windows Vista installs bootloader got messed up, and using EasyBCD I was able to fix both the startup errors in my Windows install and get Parallels to boot up fine.

Hope this helps! :)
    --Frinkruds

10. jeffsure

jeffsure Junior Member

That's it!!! Thanks a million for all the research and the answer, Frinkruds. Everything is now working the way it's supposed to.

11. ryanbooker

ryanbooker Bit poster

UPDATE: Installing ParallelsTools fixed my networking issues and I can now run in coherence mode. But coherence mode is REALLY slow and clunky.

I seems like other apple hardware is still not detected properly. Like display.

ORIGINAL:

That got vista running in parallels, but it doesn't detect my net connection...

Non of the apple hardware seems to have been detected... I'm not sure why it works fine from boot camp. Maybe I need to reinstall boot camp in Vista.

Also, I can't enter coherence mode. Clicking the button does nothing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  12. trite

trite Bit poster

Thanks a bunch Frinkruds. After updating the MBR and a quick driver update in safe mode everything seems to be working fine.

13. richlin71

richlin71 Bit poster

fyi, i followed these instructions and it changed my mac volume to 'efi boot' and they both boot into windows now. still trying to fix...=(

14. franklee

franklee Bit poster

Skrewed up boot

Hello, I too was trying to use my Vista x64 bootcamp partition with parallels. It was giving me the error messages so I went ahead and did the EasyBCD 1.6 instructions as stated. Now my Mac will not boot into anything at all without me holding the option key and selecting the drive.

I would like to revert back to before I did this tutorial as it did not fix the problem and actually made things worse. I cant seem to fix anything with the EasyBCD 1.6, i am not sure what else to do.

Thanks, I would love help to fix this.

Any of you having luck getting parallels to boot your bootcamp vista 64 partitions nowadays with the new updates etc?

THANKS THANKS THANKS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

15. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

unfortunately, Parallels doesn't support 64-bit Guest OS's so you wouldn't manage to make it work anyway. In its turn, EasyBCD is a third party software, so, the consequences of using it generally are unknown. As for bringing things back, I'd advise you to contact Apple support and ask how to restore boot loader.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

16. franklee

franklee Bit poster

mhmm

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for the response but I think you have the problem messed up.

The problem is with Windows and its modified boot, not Apple. Contacting Apple would surely do absolutely nothing and I can guarantee 100% their solution would be to simply wipe the bootcamp partition and start over, which I really do not have time to do ATM.

If anyone actually knows how to fix this a response would be greatly appreciated. Of course using EasyBCD may have been a risk, but there is obviously people on this thread who have tried it and hopefully may know a solution to fix the problem I am dealing with.

Can anyone please help me?

I apologize for any confusion, I am not sure of the exact errors and if the OS i was trying to boot was 32 bit or 64 bit, i guess it must have been the 32 bit version. Regardless, the problem lies within using EasyBCD and I could greatly benifit if anyone knows how to reverse the steps detailed above.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  17. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

please, try to open System Preferences->Startup disc and choose your Mac HD there. It should solve the problem with boot loading. But then your bootcamp need to be fixed anyway.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

18. franklee

franklee Bit poster

Changing startup disc does not work

Thanks for the response Alice, but changing the startup disk does not help the problem. Even when selecting the correct disk it fails to boot into Mac IOSX without holding option.

I believe the problem lies with the EasyBCD boot loader that was manipulated as a suggestion from another user "Frinkruds". Whatever was changed there has permanently put my booting into a never-ending cycle of not loading (unless I hold option on boot and manually choose the boot disk on startup)

I was hoping frinkruds would come back and help me or someone else may know how to fix it for real. Does this make sense?