Mountain Lion - can't create a new VM from dvd

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by PatrickJ, Jul 29, 2012.

1. msprygada

msprygada Junior Member

This did not work for me. I still get the error.

2. mmika

mmika Pro

Please provide problem report ID with this error.
    Did you get error message called "Unable to connect" or "No boot device" message within VM?

Once again, I suggest to make the following steps:
    1. Remove DVD media from the drive
    2. Go to VM configuration preferences "Hardware"->"Boot sequence"->"Show advanced options"
    And check "Select Boot device on start up"
    3. Start the VM and press ESC inside VM
    4. Insert media to the DVD drive
    5. Select appropriate boot entry ("CD-ROM drive") from a VM boot device list shown within VM.

If it won't boot please do not close window or stop the VM, choose "report a problem" in menu and share its id here.

Thank you.

3. msprygada

msprygada Junior Member

I found another thread that instructed to uninstall Parallels and reinstall it and that worked for me. I had Parallels installed on Lion and the upgraded to Mountain Lion and that is when the trouble started. This thread indicated that the problem was that Parallels did not play well with the upgrade.

So I am all good now.

4. tbirdvet

tbirdvet Bit poster

Vm cannot access DVD drive

Same issue. I get the note: Unable to connect to CD/DVD 1. A file or device does not exist or is in use by another process ........ If I make an ISO file I can install but should be able to use the DVD drive. This must be related to Mountain Lion because all worked with Snow Leopard.

5. tbirdvet

tbirdvet Bit poster

Originally Posted by mmika
    Please provide problem report ID with this error.
    Did you get error message called "Unable to connect" or "No boot device" message within VM?

Once again, I suggest to make the following steps:
    1. Remove DVD media from the drive
    2. Go to VM configuration preferences "Hardware"->"Boot sequence"->"Show advanced options"
    And check "Select Boot device on start up"
    3. Start the VM and press ESC inside VM
    4. Insert media to the DVD drive
    5. Select appropriate boot entry ("CD-ROM drive") from a VM boot device list shown within VM.

If it won't boot please do not close window or stop the VM, choose "report a problem" in menu and share its id here.

Thank you.

I tried the above as noted but no luck. I have Parallels 7 and ML.

6. tbirdvet

tbirdvet Bit poster

I finally updated to Parallels 8 and that fixed the accessing DVD drive issue as I noted above. I guess Parallels 7 and ML are not fully compatible.

7. MacFarland

MacFarland Bit poster

It looks as though you should go to Parallels/Devices/CD and assign your DVD/cd drive to the VM. Don't attempt to use any other program which needs the drive.

8. tbirdvet

tbirdvet Bit poster

Did assign but no change. I finally upgraded to P8 and it fixed the issue.

9. LloydDawson

LloydDawson Bit poster

Have the same issue with my MacBook Pro, 8 Gigs RAM, Mountain Lion. DVD is not accessible while booting, in use ( and it's not ). Have tried an ISO of the DVD and also a USB Drive, nothing seems to work with PD7 for MAC. I want to install OSX Server, which I'm told will install BUT PD support says it's not supported as a GUEST OS. Does anyone know and is there a fix for the DVD issue yet ?
    Would upgrading to PD8 resolve this issue ? Very frustrating. Never had an issue like this with Fusion.....maybe it's time to return ........

10. tbirdvet

tbirdvet Bit poster

I could use an ISO image file to install system but just not the DVD drive. Only installing P8 fixed the issue.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  11. GaigeR

GaigeR Bit poster

This is a joke. I'm having the same problem - none of the "workarounds" work. I have the latest version of 7. I shouldn't have to upgrade to get this to work. Extremely disapointed.

12. tbirdvet

tbirdvet Bit poster

Only way to work was using version 8, not sure why.

13. JoelBloch

JoelBloch Bit poster

I run Parallel Desktop 8, on mountain lion, I experience the same issue from the superdrive. I tried to create an image, Windows7.dmg, same problem from it.
    This problem does not seem new, since I saw messages on this forum early as 2009. I created a report from the website, but how come we need to create a report for a problem that old???
    Should not be corrected, or properly guided from the software itself if many users encounter it?!

14. MichielH

MichielH Bit poster

Same issue. Problem Report id: 27946004

15. warblersb

warblersb Bit poster

difficult

Hello all. I did a lot of ways, I will try to follow the way here. Hopefully will be successful. Thanks