Synching Palm TX in Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jesschoen, Jun 10, 2007.

1. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

I have some programs I need to sync on the Mac and others in the Windows environment. I use Missing Sync on the Mac side and Palm sync on the Windows XP side. If I'm operating purely on the Mac side (Parallels not launched), Missing Sync works OK but slowly. If I'm operating in pure Windows, Palm sync works fine.

However, when I have Parallels launched, Missing Sync either hangs or does not even get started. If I'm trying to use Palm sync in Parallels, it sometimes works but not regularly. Is there a way to temporarily suspend one side of the house so synching will always work in the other? This has caused me such a hassle that I have pretty much given up on running Parallels and run either the Mac OS or Windows but not both at once (via Parallels). I am using Parallels 3, Windows XP and Mac OS 10.4.9.

Thanks for any help.

James

2. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Bit poster

Disable USB in Missing Sync to do HotSync under Parallels XP

I struggled with this for a while too a few months ago. In the end I was able to get it working by disabling USB syncing in Missing Sync (on the Mac side) every time I want to do a sync on the Windows side, and then re-enabling it after I'm done. Kind of a pain, but it works - I guess it helps avoid a conflict. The other thing I have to do is hit the Palm HotSync cradle button, listen for the Windows USB chime, cancel the sync via the Palm, and repeat this again. HotSync only starts up on Windows (under Parallels) on the third time I press the HotSync button. Not sure why this is the case, but I've got it so it's working ever time now, as long as I do the above.

More info in these threads:

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=7996
    http://forums.parallels.com/thread9482.html

BTW, this is on the 2.x Parallels. Haven't tried the 3.x version yet to see if this is fixed there.

Good luck...

3. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Luther--

Thanks for the info. I haven't verified your solution yet since Hotsync worked on the first try today but I wonder how you go back to the Mac side after you have done the Hotsync. I almost always find that Missing Sync will not sync after you turn it back on. The only way to fix it seems to be a reboot of the Mac machine. I'd appreciate any suggestions from you on how to make this work.

Thanks again.

James

P.S. I'm looking for solutions that work at least 90% of the time. If the solutions work one day and not the next, I'm more inclined to skip Parallels and run either the Mac OS or Boot Camp in order to avoid the hassle.

4. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Bit poster

This has worked consistently for me for the past few months - I sync on the Windows side a couple of times a week, and on the Mac side daily, and sometimes sync on both in succession. I've never had to reboot to get it working again. Guess I've been lucky. :)

BTW, I haven't been quitting Missing Sync altogether, but rather just disabling the USB sync from the Missing Sync app temporarily.

5. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Luther--

That doesn't seem to work for me; I disable USB sync in Missing Sync but when I re-enable it, it usually doesn't work.

I need to go back and forth several times per day so I want to find a relatively "fool-proof" method.

Thanks again for your comments.

James