Run Snow Leopard In Parallels 8 In Mountain Lion, From A Snow Leopard Partition

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Kurt Todoroff, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

Well, I think that this is doable. You will be impressed with Todoroff's® Original Chili and Todoroff's® Original Chili Con Carne With Beans.

My brother found a Snow Leopard client universal installation disk deep in his bottom drawer. He is sending it to me. Thank god, he keeps everything.

Okay, back on my original thought train. I'm wondering how I could transfer the contents of my 30GB SL volume to the SL-VM that you have offered to create for me. Seeing how I use SuperDuper! to perform scheduled daily backups, I wonder if SD would recognize the OS X volume inside of the SL-VM and then perform a copy from the 30GB SL volume to the SL-VM. Scratch this. I just tried it. SD does not recognize the Parallels Windows C and D volumes, even though they appear on the desktop.

Another thought: can I perform surgery on a copy of the SL-VM that you would provide to me? In essence, open the SL-VM, extract the existing SL OS X, and insert a copy of my 30GB SL volume. Once complete, I would attempt for Parallels to open the copy that I just operated on. If it didn't work, then I would restore the original SL-VM that you provided to me. If only I could use my old copy of Resedit.

The purpose of this mental exercise is to avoid going through the physical exercise of reconfiguring my new SL-VM to look like the existing 30GB SL volume.

Thank you, Michael. I will be in touch.

Kurt Todoroff
    Todoroff Foods Incorporated

2. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Maybe a backup program like Retrospect run within the virtualized SL and pointed to the SL partition through the Shared Folders would do a duplication?

UPDATE: I have no experience with Super Duper, but I have used Retrospect over the years to make a duplication of one hard drive to another.

1. Will Retrospect work within vSL? I just used v6.1 and it runs fine in vSL.

2. Will Retrospect duplicate from a Shared Folder? Yes, I was able to duplicate a folder in my Lion environment to vSL.

3. Will Retrospect duplicate a complete SL Partition? I do not know, as I have no real ability to experiment and try this. The question is whether or not it will move System files from a Partition into the Active System Folder of vSL.

One way this would work for sure, is to use the backup copy of the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file that I always suggest every user make. in one of my troubleshooting notes, I point out how to use the backup to then access the main .pvm file used for vSL as a second mounted HD. Retrospect would then be run and move all files over.

Do you have access to Retrospect? I think I have a trial version somewhere in my collection of software.

My Dad still talks about eating Ole's Chili as a child in Chicago; he will be 95 next month. I often bring some chili over for dinner (I go over with dinner every Sunday), so he will enjoy it, too! :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. YanaYana

YanaYana

Actually i'm Ms. I'm afraid you can only use Other partition as a virtual machine only from Windows installed i BootCamp. For Mac OS - you will have to install in into the virtual machine, and it can only be server version

4. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Thank you Ms. Yana!

5. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

Michael,

I received the disks from my brother. It mounted and opened. The installation icon contained a circle and slash, which means that the application won't run on my Mac. I tried to install it into Parallels just the same. No joy.

The disk was white, with a photograph of a snow leopard. The disk contained the language:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard
    Install DVD
    Version 10.6
    2Z691-6558-A

Did he send a machine specific disk to me, or a retail disk?

Did Apple release a PPC version of SL?

Kurt Todoroff

6. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

1. It is the correct retail SL installation DVD; there is no PPC version of SL.

2. How did you attempt to install it into Parallels?

Do you have an iChat screen name? If not, open iChat and create one and we should set up a time to use iChat.

7. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

1: As I indicated, I am not certain if this disk accompanied a machine, or if it is a retail disk.

2: We should chat on FaceTime. kurttodoroff@icloud.com.

Kurt Todoroff

8. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

1. The disk you described is retail, not a machine specific disk.

2. iChat gives me the ability, with your permission, to see your desktop, so I can problem solve.

If you are by that Parallels installation now, text me on iChat (my nickname) and I'll start a pot of coffee!

9. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

Unfortunately, I'm leaving the office for a business meeting.

Let's try to hook up, tomorrow. I arrive in my office before 7:30 AM ET.

10. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

I'll be back late tonight, but not late enough to iChat with you at 4:30am PST. How long will you be at the office?

Be sure to setup your iChat with a screen name.

11. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

Michael,

I am familiar with the screen sharing capability of iChat. My Mac does not have the iChat application. I've been snooping around Messages. I have not detected support for screen sharing in it. Your thoughts?

Kurt

12. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

All modern Macs come with iChat...

Look in your applications folder.

If not, then I guess my other offer to help still stands: Send me a fresh, retail Snow Leopard install DVD, a 16GB flash drive and return postage...

Happy New Year

13. Kurt Todoroff

Kurt Todoroff Member

Michael,

Mountain Lion does not include iChat, nor does it support it.

Thank you. Happy New Year to you, as well.

Kurt

14. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Wow: that just about kills most of my ability to do off site troubleshooting.

Guess it may be time for me to retire my efforts to help those wanting to run PowerPC apps in a post-Snow Leopold world and just provide a package of a fresh Snow Leopard Install DVD and a preinstalled Mac OS X Snow Leopard.pvm file on a flash drive and be done with helping those DIY'ers.

Apple (by eliminating iChat in Mountain Lion) is really making it too difficult for me to continue to help those such as yourself.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  15. MichaelReilly

MichaelReilly Bit poster

Thank you Ms. Yana!

16. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Kurt: No matter how much you try to avoid letting me help you and get that shipment of chili...

The replacement for iChat in Mountain Lion is called Messages! It also supports Screen Sharing as does iChat.

Set it up, give yourself a screen name and let me know when you are online!

PS: My father turned 95 today...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  17. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

It is a common Urban Myth that the Snow Leopard EULA prohibits its use in virtualization in Lion or Mt. Lion on a Mac.

Apple sat back quietly while its shills continued to propagate that myth, since it resulted in larger sales of Snow Leopard Server for $499+.

That myth has been largely debunked over the last 18 months; especially by those who have documented workarounds that allowed Parallels and VMWare Fusion to install Snow Leopard client; which Apple was powerless to stop.

Apple finally threw in the towel recently and now offers Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping (call 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753)).

[​IMG]

18. macdocsc

macdocsc Bit poster

Hi, i'm trying to do the same thing with Snow Leopard, and it said Screen Shot 2013-04-05 at 2.04.07 AM.png after following the instructions, what do I do next? Anyone know what went wrong? Using parallel 8, And Mountain lion by the way

19. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Snow Leopard client will not easily install into Parallels. There is a way to install client: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

A better solution is that you need to purchase Snow Leopard Server from the Apple Store for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping (call 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753). This version will install easily into Parallels 8.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  20. dr_johnw

dr_johnw Bit poster

Hi, Michael. So we meet again. Yes, I can testify to the utility of SLS on Parallels (in my case v6), to run Rosetta apps. It works fine, just one annoying problem...no Coherence. Personally, Coherence is an important part of Parallels appeal, and without it, it's a pain. if P v8 would allow it, I'd likely upgrade.