Well done Parallels!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by sashapave, Jun 12, 2007.

1. sashapave

sashapave Bit poster

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, moderators please feel free to re-classify.

Just wanted to send a big thanks to Parallels for the 3.0 release! I just performed the upgrade and absolutely love the Snapshots feature and graphics performance boost. I can finally reclaim all that space used for multiple HDD's.

That said, there are naturally some bugs to work out. My only snaggle was having to assign previously unassigned file types to prevent 3.0 from launching stuff like Word docs.

Anyhow, well done and I'm looking forward to the 4.x release with the new feature 'instant launch' and 'zero-performance hit to mac when running' :)

-sasha pave

2. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

Sasha - do you feel V3.0 has better/worse/same performance as V2.x?

3. sashapave

sashapave Bit poster

hi non-troppo,

on my MBP 2.16g, i'm getting noticeably better graphics performance. however i'm not running any kind of 3d intensive applications. just a standard suite of web apps and M$ Office. Windows re-draws are quicker, scrolling smoother, and flash animation has sped up.

-sasha

4. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

OK, thanks.

5. grantcv1

grantcv1 Bit poster

Ok, I paid my $49 and did the upgrade. After waiting forever for Parallel's Tools to install, I have everything running again. Here's the changes I have noticed:

1) The version number is different.
    2) The toolbar on the right of the window is missing
    3) Performance is dramatically slower - to the point of being unusable. It seems that the parallels tools process is chewing up all the processor time.
    4) A new DirectX checkbox in the setting. I tried turning on the DirectX support, but if it only supports DirectX 8 it is pretty much worthless. I had been hoping for Vista Aero support.

Wow!!! After the "free" 2.5 upgrade was so cool, I kinda expected a "major" release for which I had to pay to have some real benefits.

I JUST THREW $49 AWAY!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  6. ariell

ariell Member

I accidentally downloaded and installed the trial for version 3. (I did manage to get back to v.2.5) I also noticed it to seem slightly slower, I couldn't get 3D to work, and some of the buttons on the right weren't there. It does look like it has some nice features, but while the update to version 2.5 was a big step, the upgrade to version 3 is like two steps forward, one step back. I don't want to buy something that I'm not even sure will work the way I want. What is it that makes some people see v.3.0 as much faster and good w/3D, and others not?