How to set resolution in Windows XP Parallels 8 and Retina MBP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tivoboy, Dec 16, 2012.

1. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

So, upgraded to a rMBP. Managed to migrate my Windows XP VM over to the new machine, but had to re-install the Parallels 8 app. No problem.

Issue now is that when I start the VM, it shows the smalles (as in HIGHEST) resolution you can ever imagine. everything in windows XP is so tiny. Even when I change the settings in windows XP to say 1400x900 or the screen might change size, but the actual dots on the screen stay TINY. It is nearly impossible to read.

It would SEEM that the 2880x of the rMBP is passing through somehow to the VM, but I can't for the life of me find the right settings to get it to a legible text size.

thoughts? Settings, is this just the way it is?

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

VM Configuration > Hardware > Video > Resolution > Scaled

3. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

yes

so, I've tried that one. I can then drag the screen and "scale" it. But, the minute I let go of the screen, the screen SIZE - as in the borders - are changed but all the fonts immediately refresh back to the tiny size resolution (so highest resolution) when I check SETTINGS in the windows preferences UI, it shows a lower resolution number, say 1440x900 but the actual onscreen view is tiny still. Exactly the same and not changed from the prior.

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Can you generate a problem report via Parallels Help menu and post report ID here?
    When generating a report, make sure your VM is visible on Mac screen.

5. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

done

I went ahead and setup a report this and emailed the report. I'll be dambed if I can't figure this one. Bummer, worked fine on my pl7.0 version but clearly on a different MBP.

6. 2nice79

2nice79 Bit poster

I dont know if we are having the same problem. I am on a mbp and parallels used to work fine. And for a 2 months or so, I try to run windows via parallels and I have two black bars on top and bottom that are about a 1/4in thick. This makes text really hard to read as well. i feel like it started doing it after I installed mountain lion. I am on 10.8.2 with parallels 7.0.15107. I am on full screen mode and i dont know if there are adjustments that need to be made. When iam on the mac side, everything fits on the screen full screen.

Add lib:
    I find it funny that everytime apple upgrades its operating system, parallels sees fit to charge people to update parallels as well even tho they are not making any special upgrades other than compatibilty changes. Not only are they charging people to upgrade to software that doesnt have any incrementally improved features, but they are charging 50.00 for software while apple only charge 20.00.

7. serv

serv Forum Maven

Resolution of the VM in your report is still set to Best for retina, not Scaled. Try shutting down the VM and then changing the setting, note the blue border around selected 'Scaled' icon .

Attached Files:

8. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

Hmm

Hmm, I don't seem to have the same screen that you are showing? Why would that be?

Attached Files:

9. serv

serv Forum Maven

You're not running the latest PD8 build, which is 8.0.18354. You should be OK if you uncheck Enable retina resolution, but I'd recommend to update to the latest build via Parallels Desktop > Check for Updates menu.

10. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

System seems to show .18354 as the build. I had to uninstall and re-install, which was odd, but it should have cleared everything out and rebuilt properly..

system shows, no updates available.

11. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

screenshot

So, here is a screen shot of what I see. You can see on the rMBP 15" screen, it is pretty tiny. When I go into Coherence, which I historically don't really use, then it is more usable, but shouldn't it allow me to see/use it as such in the regular windows window mode?

Attached Files:

12. serv

serv Forum Maven

I just realized that video options panel is different for XP and Vista/7/8. My screen shot was taken for Windows 7 VM, yours is for XP. And yes, you're running the latest build. Sorry that I misguided you on that.

But I still hold my initial point that XP is tiny because retina support is enabled for your VM. Have you tried unchecking Retina support checkbox?

13. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

I'll try that one and see.

update: So, when I click away from USE RETINA, I get back to normal settings. I'll attach a screenshot here. Of course, while not blurry, it's not "retina enabled" and looks a bit blotchy, but not too bad for a VM.

Is Windows 7 a better OS and would that be more "enabled" for the retina display..I've been meaning to upgrade to win7 soon, and would like the retina ready nature of parallels to work a bit better.

Attached Files:

14. serv

serv Forum Maven

Windows 7 itself handles DPI scaling much better than XP. However a lot depends on the applications that you run in it. Some older apps might not behave well with high DPI settings, you'll have to try and see.

15. tivoboy

tivoboy Junior Member

What are the best settings for Win 7? Scaled?

16. serv

serv Forum Maven

The "best" settings are the defaults. You only need to change something if you have problems. Otherwise, just experiment and see what's best for you.

17. SharpArrow

SharpArrow Bit poster

I could be wrong, but I think that at least some of you may be having a problem because you are using Firefox as a browser. It comes up very small. I just switched to chrome and it sorted it all out. I keep Firefox on my Mac where it works great. Hope this helps someone.