Windows Media sync

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by kumar, Mar 31, 2006.

1. kumar

kumar Bit poster

Has anyone gotten Windows Media Player to sync to a music device while in Parallels?

I'm running Mepis Linux 3.4.3 (kernal 2.6.15-1-586tsc),
    XP Home SP2 as guest under Parallels 2.1 build 1670.

XP detects my device just fine and launches WMP like it should but then WMP never finds the device. They are partially talking though, because my device reciprocates. They just fail to completely communicate. I think it's an issue with the Parallels USB support. Everything works fine under "real" XP using all the same software.

kumar

2. anshar

anshar Member

I never tried to synchronize USB sound device in Parallels, but syncronizing my PDA is working fine. At the same time I failed to connect my camera inside Parallels - didn't spent much time to discover why, but probably this is also USB issue...

3. kumar

kumar Bit poster

anshar,
    Yes, my palm also syncs using the palm software. So it definately seems to be very close to working comletely, just not quite. It's frustrating that the two ends do see each other, they just can't talk.

kumar

4. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

Hardware compatibilty is not the same as software compatiblity. If your vendor decides to use direct hardware addressing, then you are under the control of that vendor. If you wish to be free of that control then you should choose devices that are more open in their interactions with the PC hardware and the evil empire's OS. Virtualization has limitations regardless of the product. You had better believe that at least some of M$s motivation for later release of the next windoze is to circumvent virtualization if possible. Moving toward non-proprietary solutions is your only salvation.

5. kumar

kumar Bit poster

tgrogan,
    I don't claim to be an expert on the topic so please excuse my ignorance. From reading other posts on this forum, its seems that there are a number of issues with the USB support. My purpose of posting here is to see if there is an existing solution, and to make the developers aware of possible improvements.

Your reply is meaningless to me. The fact that I am running Parallels under Linux shows that I am already seeking non-MS solutions. If I had support for everything I needed in Linux there would be no need to run Parallels.

kumar

6. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

What is your 'music device'? I would think that if you are seeking support for a device, it would be best to list the model and perhaps the driver name under windoze. I am soory that my post seemed to be meaningless to you but without specifically stating your hardware and software configuration it would be impossible for the Parallels folk to track down your problem. Every virtualization technology has 'problems' with USB for the reasons I stated. They will determine from this specific description of your configuration whether or not they can support it. But just relating 'the device' does not accurately define the problem.

7. kumar

kumar Bit poster

It's a Palm Zire 72 running Pocket-Tunes. I've set up the software on the windows side for WMP 10 to sync, just like I did under the real XP boot. The two actually are partially talking to each other. When I plug in the palm and enter P-Tunes, the music player icon appears in the XP tray and XP asks me what I want to do. I select the option for syncing to WMP. Likewise, the Palm sees the connection and goes into the P-Tunes sync mode automatically. I also see the palm device by right-clicking on the USB icon on the Parallels window.

Something just seems to be missing that allows the two to actually transfer info. WMP just says it's looking for devices and eventaully says that no devices were found.

If more details are required, just ask what is needed and I will do my best to provide it. Yes, I understand it may be a tricky thing, but no one will bother to improve it unless someone asks.

kumar

8. jamesdodd

jamesdodd Bit poster

Is there any other windows based sync software available for you to try

or alternatively is there any linux applications

These might be a stupid questions, so if so please excuse my ignorance :)