Vista Activation + Bootcamp 1.3 + Build 4124

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gooberdlx, Jun 11, 2007.

1. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

Vista Activation + Bootcamp 1.3 + Build 4128

Got Build 4128... things work fine now except when I boot into Vista with Parallles (via Bootcamp partition) it asks me to Activate.

I got the latest Parallel tools installed that came with it so I figured that would take care of product activation...

But to no avail... it forces me out every time I use the VM... works fine if I just boot straight into it.

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  2. Kylew01@mac.com

Kylew01@mac.com Bit poster

I am seeing the exact same thing with my business edition too. Any help would be appreciated.

3. stuartrice

stuartrice Bit poster

Activating Vista

I had the same problem. The solution was to use the phone activation system -- it takes about 4 minutes and then you'll be set. It has something to do with the way in which Vista writes Hardware IDs. I guess when you emulate, it thinks that you've installed new hardware, and Vista must be pretty sensitive about piracy...

Anyhow, you should be up and running smoothly after using the phone activation system with Vista....

4. tumma

tumma Bit poster

Same happened here...

I do have the same problem, upgraded to 3.0 eager to reuse my BootCamp partition, but I got the error message that the Windows Copy is not activated. I tried over and over again to register online, typing in the new number, but because it is the first time booting in from parallels, and having not installed yet latest version of Parallels Tools, I have no networking support... and online activation fails, locking me out of the system :(

Booting direct continue to works fine :)

Please find out a workaround or fix this problem, it is pretty annoying!

Ciao
    Tumma

5. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

The problem with that is that it will ask you to activate the next time you boot straight into Vista (Correct me if I'm wrong). I'm sure they have this problem figured out somewhere... by making the VM bios act like your real bios... or something along those lines.

I think this could be a solvable solution...

6. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

:: bump ::

I'm sure there are other people with this problem... I don't really want to call in and activate Vista over the phone... because don't you get a limited number of activations per license?

7. gholland04

gholland04 Bit poster

Parallels - Bootcamp - Vista

I've also downloaded v3.0 4128, however when I try to boot into BootCamp/Vista I receive an immediate error.

Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware or Software change might be the cause.

Windows failed to load because firmware (bios) not ACPI compatable.

Anynoe had this issue? If so did you resolve it?

Thanks,

8. Inferior Minion

Inferior Minion Bit poster

I'm actually very curious about that. As seen here, my current workaround is to load Vista via BootCamp then load up Parallels and not reboot once the new ACPI drivers are loaded. The only reason I haven't called and reactivated is because during a BootCamp reload, Vista re-activates and I'm afraid to see that fail. Being able to load into BootCamp and use the full potential of Vista is currently more important to me than loading Vista via Parallels in Mac OS X. Anyone that has called and re-activated via Parallels over the phone, have you tried loading into BootCamp after the reactivation to ensure it does ask you to activate yet again?

I would much prefer a fix in which I did not have to re-activate, though.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  9. davosian

davosian Bit poster

Instead of going through a full activation again, you could extend Vista's trial period in Parallels up to 120 days. This should be plenty of time for Parallels to come up with a fix.

I did exactly this and can now use the fully activated Vista version in Boot Camp as well as Vista in Parallels as a fully functional "trial" version (almost fully functional - it is not recognized as a genuine version meaning you cannot get to a few free Microsoft downloads, but this is what you have Boot Camp for if you really need this).

You can find the instructions on how to extend your trial version here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/extend-windows-vista-trial-to-120-days/

I think this is an acceptable short term solution that does not break anything.

D.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  10. Zenara25

Zenara25 Member

That's what I'm doing currently (the 120 days). Although I didn't know you could do this after already activating. Good news for Inferior Minion.

11. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

This problem is really bugging me and my support ticket has been out there for a couple of days... :: sigh ::

12. AndersBostrom

AndersBostrom Bit poster

Worked for me

I installed Vista Business on Boot Camp 1.3 and the the latest Parallels build and the I booted into Boot Camp and activated (via phone as the HTTP interface never succeded), then I booted into OS X and started Parallels where I could see it was inactive. Used phone activation again, but got message that install code was invalid, so was connected to manual support. told them that my hardware had changed and they connected me to the auto activate system and I got VM activated.

Booting back and forth shows both way of using same system is activated.

Only issue I have is that every time I go between Boot Camp and VM (either direction) I get a "New drivers installed for ACPI - need to reboot", so a reboot is needed.

13. Zenara25

Zenara25 Member

14. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello everybody!

If you have troubles with inactive Vista running from Boot Camp partition please answer my questions:
    1. Was your Vista activated in native Boot Camp before installing Parallels Desktop?
    2. Are your Vista still activated in native Boot Camp after installing Parallels Desktop and several reboots to Boot Camp then in Parallels?
    3. Have you activated Vista in VM?
    4. Are your Vista activated in Parallels after that?
    5. In native Boot Camp?

Thank you for your answers.

Please try this way:
    1. Create new VM
    2. Choose "Custom" installation.
    3. Choose Guest OS type "Windows Vista".
    4. Choose prefered ammount of RAM.
    5. Choose "Use Boot Camp" as virtual HDD.

15. gooberdlx

gooberdlx Junior Member

1. Was your Vista activated in native Boot Camp before installing Parallels Desktop?

Yes

2. Are your Vista still activated in native Boot Camp after installing Parallels Desktop and several reboots to Boot Camp then in Parallels?

Yes

Nope

N/A

5. In native Boot Camp?

N/A

My Vista is activated in Boot Camp and not in Parallels... when I boot into Vista with Parallels I get the activation warning... That's the easy breakdown of it!

16. Inferior Minion

Inferior Minion Bit poster

- Yes

- Yes. Every time I reload Boot Camp after running Parallels, Windows tells me it has successfully activated itself, meaning it thought it was deactivated, and it reactivates. Once the reactivation is done, it loads the x86 ACPI drivers and asks me to reboot - highly annoying. This actually makes me want to try booting up without any internet connection to see what happens to the reauthentication process. I'll give that a try tonight and report how it goes.

- No. I have tried to activate, but I am told that activation key is already in use. I am afraid to reactivate via telephone and, in the process, make loading up in BootCamp deactivate and lock. Running my Vista Bootcamp in Parallels is merely convenience, loading it up in BootCamp directly is necessity.

- N/A

5. In native Boot Camp?
    - N/A - This is the question I am still waiting for someone to confirm.

I have tried creating a new VM and still run into the same issues.

17. rayarub

rayarub Bit poster

Yes.

Yes... as above, Vista will reactivate itself after it is booted back up through Boot Camp.

Yes, through the telephone.

Yes.

5. In native Boot Camp?

No, now the situation is exactly the opposite; it will run fine from VM, but not in boot camp.

18. dinodeano89

dinodeano89 Bit poster

Issue with Parelles or Windows activation?? HELP!!

Although I didn't have an issue with my activation of my parallels, I have had an issue with activating my windows XP Professional, and I don't see my self having that issue on my family pc, so I am led to believe I am receiving this error/issue because its coming through parallels, maybe?

But the issue is as follows:
    I have successfully installed parallels and through this i installed my copy of Windows XP Pro, but during the installation process i was asked to activate my XP Pro, i did this by ringing the activation hot line provided through windows > I received the activation number > I successfully entered the activation number, and I received a message saying I successfully activated my Windows, thanks, but as soon as i continue (after the activation step) the screen image comes up with the Windows "Logging Off" then the usual "saving your settings" once it has done this, the message titled "Windows Product Activation" pops up saying "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?" > i click "Yes"

and then as soon as it comes into the "Windows Product Activation" screen, there is a message saying "Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit." > i click "OK"

and then it repeats this process of "logging off... saving settings" then the message "Windows Product Activation... this copy of windows must be activated... do you want to activate windows now.." the same message as before. I am stuck in this process and i have no other options that i am aware of to continue and successfully get into my Windows desktop. I activated my Windows the correct way, over the telephone, after the internet activation didn't work.

If anyone is able to help me past this activation error, that would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards,

Dean

19. islagrancan

islagrancan Bit poster

Yes.

Yes... as above, Vista will reactivate itself after it is booted back up through Boot Camp.

No, I am scared to use up all my activations.

N/A

5. In native Boot Camp?

Yes, but not in Parallels. Makes me activate immediately in Parallels, but if I boot back to Bootcamp it reinstalls the ACPI drivers that work with its prior activation and its happy again.

20. mr_daemon

mr_daemon Bit poster

Same thing here.

Didn't want to activate in parallels...

Rebooting in bootcamp says Vista is activated...

Is thing going to be fixed at some point?