Missing "Nested VT-x/EPT" VM Optimization Setting - Parallels 8 & Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by thezonie, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

Awful

I am not sure if we made a gross mistake of moving from Fusion to Parallels
    The only reason we planned to migrate was Parallels was ahead of competition.

Lucky we did not implement the plan to move all the development team to Parallels.

Let me see if we qualify for refund to the items we converted.

2. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

Must have feature

This is MUST HAVE feature as this is the only mechanism that Application developers of iOS and Windows can work on same machine.

Otherwise its loss of productivity and loss of money too. The licenses are not cheap if you consider a team of 20 people.

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The way you phrase it makes it look like this is a feature that is advertised by Parallels, when in fact its existence, or lack of it, was only publicly discovered via the Help files.

4. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

Apology if my earlier comment was offensive and I was not commenting on Parallels having feature.

Parallels team has all the rights not to even read my comment forget even to reply.

What I meant was for my company its a MUST HAVE feature. We will look at other solutions which offer the feature.

The reason I posted the comment was, my 1 year experience with Parallels was good and the team was ahead of competition. So chances of getting this request may actually happen in near future.

But again, apology, if somebody got rubbed the wrong way.

5. å¼ å“²

å¼ å“² Bit poster

Hope the issue to be fixed in next upgrade!

I think this issue is terrible to mobile developer.I don't wanna to think that why not to choice VMware.

So,hope the issue to be fixed in next upgrade.I believe that this is a lot of people would like to see.

Always to say in Chinese :"这嗄儿支持正版不容易,你这是要闹哪样?别再折磨我们的肉体和灵魂了!"

Hope the Parallels beat the VMware!

Thx

Nicky

6. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

Yes correct. I also hope that Parallels beat others. Its a win-win for all.

And can you please translate the Chinese saying. Google translate failed miserably.

7. tadanderson

tadanderson Bit poster

Message from Parallels

This is what I got back from Parallels.

I am sorry to inform you Tad. As of now Hyper v is not supported by Parallels. May be in upcoming version Hyper V will be supported by Parallels Desktop application.

Time to move to VMWare Fusion

8. å¼ å“²

å¼ å“² Bit poster

Hehe,it's hard to translate.I think English is the world-wide language because it is to simple and directly.

But , Chinese is not.

Just a Chinese humour.

The main meaning is …… in China, people always think "that guy is a fool" who paid for the software usage.

So,I don't want to answer the question "why do you use paid software? why not to use Parallels or VMware cracked.It's easy to change other one."

I wish the Parallels Desktop team work more effort make me firmly believe my choice is right.

Tanks to the Parallels Desktop team.

Nicky

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Is this a joke?
    I don't think Parallels Team feels particularly motivated to work on adding features asked by people who crack their software. Must be a cultural difference!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  10. tadanderson

tadanderson Bit poster

I personally do not think Parallels is lacking, I thing Microsoft architected a stupid solution for running a simple emulator. Though the sad truth is, we have no choice but to develop in their new sadly architected environment, so we need the feature.

VMWare implements it, but they do not support it. Below is from their site:

Hyper-V
    Hyper-V has been added to the Workstation 9 guest operating system list. This enables customers to run Windows 8 with Hyper-V enabled, or install Hyper-V Server. This can be used for educational purposes or for building prototype Hybrid Clouds. This feature is NOT SUPPORTED and probably never will be. Microsoft does not support nesting of their hypervisor which makes it extremely difficult - if not impossible for VMware to fix issues that may occur in this configuration. For this reason, this capability has been implemented purely to see if we could do it!

CAUTION: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN HYPER-V ON A VIRTUAL MACHINE IN PRODUCTION.

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Sad MS decision indeed, considering Windows doesn't support nesting and MS needs desperately to create an app ecosystem for its platform and attract current iOS devs who are most likely using macs.

12. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thank you all for the interest. I will update this thread as soon as the feature is implemented. You might consider to subscribe to it

13. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

Let me start counting. This will be a massive relief.
    I am aware its not supported by Microsoft etc. but I think majority users like me won't mind the same as its used for testing only.

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

15. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

Specimen

Beautiful. I don't know how many blessings you and Parallels team are going to receive from tonight onwards.
    For me and my company, its the next best thing to happen after Apple.

Thank you fellas. You rock.

16. YongweiW

YongweiW Bit poster

Oh Specimen, it might be the cultural difference that made you miss the joke :).

He actually means: He paid for the software and was regarded as a fool in China (like me ...). So he wishes "the Parallels Desktop team work more effort" and make him firmly believe his choice [of paying] was right.

Just to set the record right.

17. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

Fellas, forget the cultural differences.

I have been using this feature (actually hammering the feature) for last 2 weeks and I will say "Awesome". It just works out of the box as it was designed (rather as 'I' wanted it to work).

I have seen Win8 hangs couple of times but I am not sure if its just Microsoft's legacy or something else.

I will still keep reporting the updates but I can say, Parallels teams made me worth each and every penny.

Thanks fellas for the great work. You just improved the productivity of your client and nothing else "weighs" more than this.

Ta. till later....