Free 3.0 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tonydenson, Jun 13, 2007.

1. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

Has anyone here who bought Parallels in May yet received the email with their free upgrade key to 3.0 ?

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Try to contact to order-support team by email

3. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

I already did. I spoke to them on Monday and was told it would be sent out Monday or Tuesday. Today is Wednesday.

4. fso

fso Member

I have emailed about 20 times, but still haven't received/heard anything.

5. papplegate

papplegate Bit poster

I just received via e-mail my upgrade key. I purchased mine in the Christmas and got the "free" upgrades. Glad to see it finally came.

6. Horizontal

Horizontal Member

Well I received my free upgrade email today which is great, but unfortunately Parallels 3.0 does not support my version of Vista (Home Premium) so as it turns out it's useless :(

I wonder why they limited it to certain versions?

7. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

It's MS official policy - they prohibit running Vista Home and Home Premium in Virtual Machines. You need either Business or Ultimate version.

8. hovis

hovis Junior Member

forgot it was coming for free and paid up ...

Well, I bought 2.5 some months ago, and recently I got a time-limited offer from Parallels, "pre-upgrade to 3.0 now, and get a 50 % discount. Offer valid through 6th of June". I had forgotten about the whole free upgrading, so I bought the upgrade (and got an activation key and upgraded and all is working fine, so that's ok).

Then, today, a week or so after the above mentioned offer expired, I got another key, now free of charge.

I feel like I've conned myself ...

9. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

You have.

I believe most others to whom this happened post angry rants in the forums. :)

I bought two upgrades, didn't really care for whether I had free upgrades or not. What's the point about arguing over 40 quid?

10. smj

smj Bit poster

Interesting.
    I remember reading that Microsoft put a restriction in the license for the home editions specifying that they weren't allowed to be run inside a VM.

Is it Parallels or Windows that enforces the restriction?

11. pap

pap Junior Member

I also purchased parallels on May 16, 2007 at the Apple store. So, I qualify for a free upgrade. I contacted Parallels for the free upgrade key last week. They responded right away and said I should have the Key in a few days and to just use the trial version in the mean time. They did not send me the key. I followed up with them last night and this morning they told me that I had to get the key from the store I purchased it from?!?! How is the Apple store going to give me a key?

This was the case number they gave me - 160604

Pap

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  12. hovis

hovis Junior Member

None that I can see.

I wonder If I can use the free key on a different installation, thus having Parallels on two computers? Even if, I suppose it would violate the license agreement.

13. fso

fso Member

Finally received activation key today.

Hesitantly install P3, given all the comments on the forum.

5 minutes later, I have been surprised that the upgrade process has been very smoothy. Parallel Tools installed w/o any errors. Restarted once and everything works.

Liking the tighter integration - I can finally use TextMate in Windows!!!!

Well done, Parallels.

14. dotpitch

dotpitch Bit poster

hy,

i bought parallels in februar, german version in a online store of my choice...

can i get v3.0 for free?

greetz....

15. tonydenson

tonydenson Member

Mine has now arrived

16. pap

pap Junior Member

Tony - How did you originally purchase Parallels? Was it through the website or from a retail store?

Thanks Chris

17. snodman

snodman Member

It is Micro$oft that enforces the restriction. If you want to run in a VM they charge double. That was why Steve Jobs got the biggest laugh line at the WWDC keynote when he announced the price for the next Mac OS (Leopard).
    Basic version - $129
    Developer version - $129
    Business version - $129
    Ultimate version - $129
    "We think everybody is going to upgrade to the Ultimate version!" :D

Oh, and my free Parallels 3.0 upgrade key came this morning. :)

18. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

I just received my upgrade key this morning. I had purchased 2.5 on May 29th.

-Z

19. pap

pap Junior Member

How did all you guys receiving keys originally purchase Parallels? Was it through a retail store or online through Parallels?

I'm trying to figure out why Parallels is telling me to get my key at the retail store I purchased it from. I just called the Apple retail store and they said they can't provide the key for the free upgrade. I'm at a loss.

Thanx
    Pap

20. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

Both. Microsoft developed the Home version so it would not allow running in a virtual environment. If Parallels went around that restriction and allowed it to run anyway, they would be violating the MS license agreement and could be sued.

-Z