Mac to Mac transfer

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by robinkaspar, Dec 30, 2012.

1. robinkaspar

robinkaspar Member

I've been running Parallels on my Macbook Pro for 5 years. I just got a new Macbook Air and we're trying to transfer the virtual machine from the MBP to the MBA. All the documentation we're finding on the website talks about PC to Mac transfers but we can't find anything about Mac to Mac. Are there any differences? We can't seem to be able to copy the PVM file so we're using the Transporter Agent to transfer over the network. We knew it would be slow but 144 hours? and it took 2 hours before any sort of progress even showed up. We weren't sure anything was even happening.

We don't have the Parallels USB cable, anyone know if retailers (Best Buy?) carry it?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

You should be able to copy your vm to a portable hard drive and transfer it to the mac book air that way, but I have a few questions for you how large of a file is your vm. Also how large is the Mac Book Air hard drive? You may want to keep the vm on an external drive and run it from their, if it is too large for the MBAs' hard drive.
    kat

3. robinkaspar

robinkaspar Member

We did go that route and the PVM file is now on the new computer. The next question we've been presented with is whether we want to consider this a copy or a move. Ultimately this will be a move but I would like to have access to the old install for a few days just in case something goes wrong with the new one. We're assuming that if we treat it as a move and give it a new Mac address the old install will no longer function. If that's the way it has to be done, we'll do it and I'll keep my fingers crossed.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

You are correct when you select the move option, it will no longer be accessible to the original computer from the portable hard drive. The original pvm should still be on the mbp if you copied it to a portable hard drive and have not yet deleted it from the mbp.
    The one thing you should be aware of is using both copies simultaneously depends on you windows license.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012