Purchased Parallels, got 2.5

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by galinml, Jun 13, 2007.

1. galinml

galinml Bit poster

So I have a co-worker who purchased a brand new mac from Macmall.. They took the deal on Parallels.. (This is < 5 days ago).. They got 2.5.. Is Parallels honoring upgrades to 3.0 for those who purchased after the 3.0 release?

2. wingdo

wingdo Pro

3. Your friend did not purchase Parallels from Parallels but from MacMall. He/She should talk to MacMall about providing any upgrade to 3.0. The pre-release upgrade price for 3.0 is no longer available because 3.0 has now been released.

My assumption would be that MacMall will argue they have no obligation to provide the upgrade. However, if your friend contacts Parallels they may provide the upgrade to people who purchased 2.5 within so many days of the 3.0 release.

4. galinml

galinml Bit poster

So here was their response. I don't think it's right.. I told him to goto MacMall and argue the case there, but I really believe Parallels should honor purchases on/after the release date.

From: "Parallels Customer Service via RT" <order-support@parallels.com>
    Date: June 13, 2007 3:11:02 AM PDT
    To: MASKED
    Subject: [Parallels #MASKED] Version 3.0
    Reply-To: order-support@parallels.com

HEllo MASKED,

Parallels Desktop 3.0 is a major upgrade for Parallels Desktop and it
    will work with the new 3.0 activation key that comes as separate
    purchase, either full version or upgrade version that is available for
    the owners of the previous Parallels Desktop versions. You can order
    Parallels Desktop 3.0 US version online on our website
    http://www.parallels.com or purchase at the nearest retail store when as
    soon as it is shipped.
    If you have ordered Parallels Desktop 3.0 key already and you are
    experiencing problems with activating the product, please send us your
    key for verification.

5. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I seem to recall seeing on the forums that anyone who purchased after May 01, was eligible for a free upgrade. It should not matter where you purchased it. The Apple Store down the street still has boxed Parallels 2.5 ...... I would hope Parallels would honor the free upgrade from there, so I see no difference with MacMall. Other than of course your friend did not actually *pay* for it from Mac Mall (it is a freebie with a Mac purchase).

6. galinml

galinml Bit poster

I don't consider paying MacMall 79.99 with a 69.99 mail in rebate that takes 4 months free.. But i agree, i hope they'd honor an upgrade key.

7. galinml

galinml Bit poster

Bump

Bump.. anyone?

8. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

9. wingdo

wingdo Pro

As I said, I think anyone who purchased 2.x after May 1 gets a free upgrade.

From dkp's link:

How can I get my free Parallels Desktop 3.0 upgrade key?

I have Upgrade Protection/Maintenance/bought Parallels Desktop 2.x during the grace period (starting from May, 1, 2007).
    If you haven't received free upgrade key automatically (don't forget to check your spam filters please), please write an email to order-support@parallels.com with your existing Parallels Desktop 2.x key and your purchase information.

You will need to provide proof of purchase after May 1. It will be on your MacMall receipt.

10. Benzs

Benzs Bit poster

I first did what was suggested here, and put both VM's to bridged networking.
    Secondly I made sure that both VM's were named and in the same work group.
    everything works fine now as long as the firewalls exceptions are set to file sharing.

thanks again

11. Benzs

Benzs Bit poster

I first did what was suggested here, and put both VM's to bridged networking.
    Secondly I made sure that both VM's were named and in the same work group.
    everything works fine now as long as the firewalls exceptions are set to file sharing.

thanks again
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=12331

12. Benzs

Benzs Bit poster