Issues with Recent Re-Install of Windows XP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RalphT, Aug 4, 2012.

1. RalphT

RalphT Member

I recently had to re-install Windows XP and am having a few issues I need to fix. Your help will be most appreciated:

1. Key strokes made using the numbers on the right on the extended keyboard do not register in the application. The numbers along the top of the regular part of the keyboard work.

2. I am not having any success getting the upgrades using Windows Update. I re-installed XP SP2, activated automatic updates and nothing happens. I tried going to Windows update manually and two things happen 1) I get a message that says "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view." and 2) when I try to install the version of update that includes updates for Microsoft Office in addition to XP, I get the same message.

3. I cannot locate a link for a SP3 download for individual computers. They keep referring you to using automatic update. Since that isn't working, there seems to be a catch 22 situation. The only download I can find is for installation on a network, which is not recommended for individual computers.

Any suggestions on any of these? Thanks.

2. RalphT

RalphT Member

Okay! I resolved a few of my install issues on my own, but I still need help with

#1 Key strokes made using the numbers on the right on the extended keyboard do not register in the application. The numbers along the top of the regular part of the keyboard work.

Can someone please offer some help with this?

3. RalphT

RalphT Member

No one has any idea as to why the numbers on the extended wired keyboard do not work in windows apps?

4. BonBowman

BonBowman Bit poster

Sorry I can't help with your keyboard problem, but I'm having the exact same problem with SP3. Can you let me know how you fixed this?

Thanks!

5. kat

kat Product Expert

I know this is an older post, but just incase you still have the issue. If you are using Parallels 8.
    Have your tried:

With your XP vm on to
    go to the Parallels menu along the top
    select Devices
    scroll down to Keyboard
    scroll down to Numlock click on that
    this should take care of your issue

Hope this information helps you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. BonBowman

BonBowman Bit poster

Sorry, you can ignore my previous post about Windows XP SP3. This might be obvious to many people, but because I was using XP x64 there is no SP3. SP2 is the most up to date version!!

Hope you figure out your keyboard problem though!

7. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

8. RalphT

RalphT Member

Thanks Dragonkat and Andrew. Your suggestion worked.

Funny how this post went nearly five months without a reply, then I get the same solution twice within a couple days. Not complaining, I just find it interesting!

Thanks again