ubuntu 7.04 in Paralles 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by chuwy, Jun 8, 2007.

1. chuwy

chuwy Junior Member

has anybody tried Ubuntu 7.04 in Parallels 3.0? I have been running it via Vmware Fusion up to now because of its 'Linux Tools' but now that parallels has tools too, can anybody tell me what the tools/performance is like?

2. surfous

surfous Bit poster

Well, I installed 3.0GA immediately, as well as the linux tools into my existing Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) vm. Here are my initial impressions:

The good:
    • mouse support - being able to move the mouse into and out of the VM window smoothly is wonderful.
    • Resizable desktop tracks VM window size. Makes switching between full-screen and windowed mode nice and usable without having to scroll the VM's desktop.

The bad:
    • 3D support doesn't allow use of desktop effects. OK, maybe not critical, but this bit of icing would certainly be nice.

The ugly:
    • Still no clipboard support, so far as I can tell
    • No clock synchronization support. After you suspend and later resume the VM, the clock

Some of these things may simply require further configuration - I've not had the time to investigate further - but this is what I've noticed so far. It's definitely an improvement from running Edgy/Feisty under Parallels Desktop 2.x, but it has a ways to go in order to offer a more seamless experience, though.

3. cassidyj

cassidyj Bit poster

I definitely agree with this. If 3D desktop support was enabled and Beryl could run I would be very happy. Please, please, please support team, HELP US OUT! <3 :)

4. eriqthegeek

eriqthegeek Member

One thing I've noticed that's really irritating ... when I shutdown the VM, I get scrambled video and the VM never "powers" itself off. I didn't have this problem with Fusion.

Are you seeing this too?

5. valechox

valechox Junior Member

I am also sseeing the scrambled video upon shutting down the OS.

After ensuring that there is no more hd activity, I close the VM. Haven't had any issues upon restarting at all.

6. cefn

cefn Junior Member

I agree - been installing Ubuntu pretending it is windows to see if that exposes any better 3D support. No joy running desktop effects. That would be EXCELLENT.

7. cynic

cynic Member

Does Ubuntu 7.04 actually install properly. Or let me put it that way... is it possible to install it normally without a hassle? I tried it in 2.5 but no luck...

8. eriqthegeek

eriqthegeek Member

Yes, installed perfectly for me.

9. cynic

cynic Member

That's great news! I did not even try it with the new version of Parallels yet but that is exactly what I am going to do now.

Thanks a lot.