Gameplay in Parallels Desktop 8 with DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 games.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Andrew@Parallels, Dec 3, 2012.

1. serv

serv Forum Maven

Windows may have dropped Parallels drivers during upgrade. I'd suggest to reinstall Parallels Tools in your VM.

2. seanpiano

seanpiano Bit poster

thanks for your reply, however by reinstall parallels tools will i lose all data and apps for my VM?

In fact i dont really know how to do it, do you have a link of instruction i could refer to? thanks!

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

You won't lose anything, this is a basic operation.
    Virtual Machine menu > Install Parallels Tools.

4. seanpiano

seanpiano Bit poster

it worked!!! now the speed was back to normal! thanks!

5. FreeDom_ne

FreeDom_ne Bit poster

Dota 2 problem

I'm using parallels 8 and macbook pro retina 15. If you start a game and watch some stationary torches or cast spells or watch fights, you will experience big black shadows around these objects or spells.

6. JDSgaming

JDSgaming Bit poster

I went and tried to run Age of Conan Unchained on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 8 Pro. There is not a point were this game does not crash. It crashes on install, it crashes on startup before it even gets to and 3D graphics, it crashes once it does load up the 3D graphics, I've even got all the way into the game once and it crashed their. It's a crap shoot on when it does crash. Like I said before, I did get it running fairly stable on my Mac Mini, but not on the New iMac. By the way, the new iMac has a 3 tb fusion drive, and the nvidia geforce gtx 680 mx video card. AoC is free to play, so if you guys wanted to ever include it in your testing. It would be greatly appreciated. If you can get this game working, then pretty much any 3D game will and should work on Parallels 8.
    Also, when I did get this game running on Directx 9, I got a bunch of Horizontal dark lines striped across the game. This was on both the mac mini and the iMac.
    I did call in for support, and both times I did, I could not get the support guy to even glance at the dump that I had sent. Which if he did, I would maybe get a ballpark idea of why this game doesn't want to work with your product.

7. dpickett

dpickett Member

After going several rounds with Parallels technical support, Origin/Mass Effect 3 still won't start under Parallels. The problem still seems to be that Origin isn't seeing the Parallels install as valid despite my machine far surpassing the system requirements. The game runs perfectly under Boot Camp.

The only solution for this will be for the Parallels developers to take an interest and figure out exactly what Origin is seeing that makes it gives a license failure for Mass Effect 3, and any other Origin game.

edit: Should add the best guess from Parallels tech support was Origin wouldn't see a virtual disk image as a real piece of hardware, preventing Origin's copy protection from working.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi dpickett,

We'll open up another ticket for you to deliver all your testing results to the product maintenance team. Thanks.

9. dpickett

dpickett Member

Sounds good. How does that work: do I contact you, or will someone contact me?

edit: I installed an nVidia GTX 670 in my Mac Pro. At the moment, it looks like Parallels 8 doesn't like some combo of the GTX 670 and the latest nVidia web drivers, as almost every game I've tried to launch has crashed Parallels. So, if you're thinking about buying the card and you need Parallels for a mission critical app, I wouldn't do it yet.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  10. Andrew@Parallels

We've already contacted you, please watch out for the email. Thanks!

11. dpickett

dpickett Member

The activation link isn't working. I get a page which says "RT Error Invalid reminder code".

edit: Got an email from Parallels tech support which let me log in, but I have no idea what to do after that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. Andrew@Parallels

As I see from the ticket, the issue is resolved. Feel free to post more if you have questions.

13. dpickett

dpickett Member

14. JohnThiessen

JohnThiessen Bit poster

Far Cry 3 through steam looks like it going to start. Then just get a black screen. Running Parallels 8 Windows 8 Mac Book Pro Retina.

15. JohnThiessen

JohnThiessen Bit poster

I got it to work. Changed Parallels Options to:

2 CPU'S
    1 Gig Video Memory

16. MNagler

MNagler Bit poster

Graphical Issues in DOTA 2

I am running Parallels 8 on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display and OSX 10.8.2. Inside Parallels I installed Windows 7 with Service Pack 1. When I try to play DOTA 2 I see some graphical issues. It seems that certain effects can not be rendered properly and show up as black squares or circles. I tried switching from DirectX 10 to DirectX 9 and I also tried the start param -nod3dx9ex for DOTA, but have not been able to fix the glitches.

17. Jason080

Jason080 Bit poster

black squares or circles

>>>>It seems that certain effects can not be rendered properly and show up as black squares or circles.

me too !

try and try, not work !

18. heliosaerial

heliosaerial Bit poster

andrew - I just installed Parallels 8 with windows 7 on my new imac 27" i7 3.4 - I cant get battlefield 3 to run, it just fizzles out after it says "logging in" - ive tried configuring to running 2 cpu and 2gig of RAM like you said....any other help?

19. Will63

Will63 Bit poster

Crysis 3 and DirectX 11

Dear Parallels team, I'm disappointed in the issue that Crysis 3 was easily downloadable, needed a DX 11 configuration and installed fine, due to the fact that my dxdiag output said DX 11.

When starting the game, I receive a CryEngine error stating that the game requires a DX 11 compatible GPU.

I run Parallels 8 with Win 8 Pro on a 15' MBPr with 2.6 GHz i7 Quad Core and the NVidia Geforce 650m. Did modify all performance items in the VM prefs for optimal VM performance - yet the video screen only allows me to pick DX 10.

Any advice?

20. lynmatten

lynmatten Member

Several Games not Working

Hi Team,

i also encountered the problems with Origin Games (Dragen Age Origin) and also Anno 1701.

What confuses me a little bit is that i am able to start the games, view the into video and configure the character / game. The VM crashes completely during entering the real game world.

For Anno 1701 the Support ID is: 22524052

KR Solick