Activation Key problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by stahly, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stahly

stahly Member

2 issues really...

1) I purchased 2.5 about a week ago and subsequently upgraded for 3.0 for free by 'checking for updates'...was successful!....It did NOT ask me for any activation codes..Its must have found my current one automatically.

2) I noticed a newer build up (4xxx) so I tried to download that (by the way the 'checking for updates didnt show this build so I just went directly the website and downloaded it)

After installing this build, this time it DID ask me for an Activation code...but I can't locate it! I have searched everywhere on this forum and website and can't find where to look for my activation key.

I've also tried to re-install the older version again, but it won't installs back to an older version unless I totally uninstall...

HELP.. Thx

2. stahly

stahly Member

found the key for 2.5 but not recognizing in 3.0.4128

tells me that the key is not vaild for this build....(but it was for the first build, just not the newest!?)

Any help appreciated!

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

When you checked for updates, you were getting the most recent update for version 2.5.

You need a different key to upgrade to 3.0. If you had paid for an upgrade, you would have received a key by e-mail. Since you should get this upgrade for free, you should still receive the key by e-mail, but since you have not, you should contact order support.

There are many threads here that have the e-mail address for order support.

4. stahly

stahly Member

thx for responding. I just re-installed 2.5 with my original key and it works fine..of course its going to take about 8 hrs to mirror my PC back over....

However, once again, when I 'ck for updates' its showing only that Build 3212 is avail..none of the 4xxx. Would I not automatically get 4xxx?

Lastly, as I mentioned in OP, when I upgraded to 3.0 yesterday, I *did not need* a new activation code...it just did it..I do remember it saying something about 'since you purchased after May, you qualify for this upgrade for free'....

But when I went for Build 4xxx directly from their website, it asked me for code...that I don't seem to have.... Seems strange, but I'll contact order support anyway. thanks

5. stahly

stahly Member

Holy Crap is this screwed up!

So I thought all along I was upgrading to 3.0 from my 2.5 install disk...turns out that the "Install Parallels Desktop" Icon tells me its Version 2.5.3212 that Im installing from the version on my disk which is 2.5.3188. (the update checker said I was downloading v3 !!!)

This is nuts. I'm not a power user, just a 25 year PC veteran that deperately wants to run some apps in Windows and rest in Mac, but this has been a HUGE mess.

I admit that I only send email to Parallels earlier today and have not yet gotten a response. I will wait another day. In the meantime my MacPro sits idle.

thanks for listening

6. Mac Write

Mac Write Member

While waiting for a 3.0 key get a trial key to save yourself from re-imaging your PC.

7. stahly

stahly Member

just did that....thanks for the tip!....now my transporter doesn't work....what a nitemare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.