Windows keyboard in windows parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Birch81, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Birch81

Birch81 Bit poster

how to remap to windows keyboard??

heya!

I have just installed parallels 3.0 and wanned to hear if it is possible to get windows keyboards in windows parallels instead og mac keyboard ?

Birch81.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  2. Birch81

Birch81 Bit poster

well then if nobody can anwser me then maybe someone can anwser me how I get the same keyboard layout in windows then ?????? I can´t work my way around windows without knowing where my buttons are ? at least I can find the @ and | in osx but how the f... do I write this in windows???????

3. saracoth

saracoth Bit poster

I actually run Windows XP under Parallels, and I have an plain, ordinary Windows keyboard attached to my MacBook. (Ie, I have no special application keys, no power/sleep/etc. buttons -- just the basic keys, two windows keys, and a context menu key).

Aside from certain key remappings you can choose to do from Parallels's preferences windows, the keyboard basically works in the guest Windows system exactly as it would in a real one. Print screen is print screen, not F13, and so on. Bring Windows to full screen and you might not even realize you're on a Mac.

The only exception, and there is presently no workaround that I am aware of, is that Parallels maps the right Windows key to the context menu key (the "right click key") and the context key itself gets mapped to nothing.

I say there's no workaround because unless Parallels has some option I'm not aware of, there's nothing that can be done about that particular annoyance. Parallels doesn't send any keyboard input whatsoever to the guest OS for the context menu key, so you can't just remap it in Windows.