How can I remove shared applications?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Sixx, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Sixx

Sixx Bit poster

I don't need it, it just takes a lot of space in the start menu and when I use small window, then some odd bubble appears saying there's not enough space to view all programs...

I'm a webdesigner and I use VM just for sites preview in IE and other win browsers and I'm sure I wil never need to run mac apps from win.

Thanks in advance for any kind of answer!

2. isenberg

isenberg Bit poster

I'm wondering how to do that, too.
    Especially the mapping of MIME-Types on Mac to Windows Applications is not what I expected and it even needed the installation of the 3rd party application RCDefaultApp to remove change some mappings back to native Mac Apps.

3. Sixx

Sixx Bit poster

Nobody can help? There's really NO WAY to disable this feature?

4. Shidayu

Shidayu Member

There is no way to do that in this version, according to Parallels staff. They claim that it will be an option in an update.

5. Sixx

Sixx Bit poster

Thanks Shidayu!!! Well, this sounds good to me .. I will wait for an update :)

6. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hi, Sixx
    You can not remove shared applications, but you can install Parallels Tools without them. You should reinstall Parallels Tools, and during reinstallation select "Custom". After that uncheck "Shared applications" in the list.

7. Sixx

Sixx Bit poster

Solved!

Hi Ankou,
    thanks a lot! I did and it works! Perfect!
    Thanks again!

8. scotymac

scotymac Junior Member

Reinstalled Parallels Tools

Uninstalled, then did a reinstall utilizing the custom feature, less of course the shared applications. When attempting to open an email attachment on the Mac side, the system is pointing to M/S Word in Parallels, rather then the OS x version installed.
    Do I assume one needs to delete out the VM and do a clean upgrade?
    Or is there an area in OSx where I can point files to open under Office for Mac Aps?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  9. isenberg

isenberg Bit poster

10. scotymac

scotymac Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. installed the Ap and problem solved.:)

11. davel

davel Bit poster

Here are steps for disabling Windows XP applications. You can probably do a similar thing if you're running Vista instead.

1. In the Finder, select Go|Home from the menu, then open the Library|Parallels|Windows XP folder.
    2. Control-click on the Windows Applications folder and select Compress 'Windows Applications'.
    3. Select Go|Computer from the menu, then open whatever the name of your computer's hard drive is.
    4. Open the Library|Caches folder.
    5. Find the two files that start with com.apple.LaunchServices- and end with .csstore, and drag them to the trash.

If you ever want to get them back, just open the Windows Applications.zip file you made in step 2.

You can find some technical details here: RCDefaultApp FAQ.