Parallels on Retina MBP for windows-msoffice development

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ben999, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Ben999

Ben999 Bit poster

Hi,

I'm a windows user doing a lot of development work in MS Excel-VBA.
    Because of the display I really would like to switch to the 13" retina MBP to do my daily work (using Parallels 8), but my question is whether it's really possible/advisable to work with Windows- MS Office 2010 on a retina machine? Does Excel (charts,forms...) behave well on the parallels-retina or would I run into too many formatting/display issues?
    I plan to use Parallels 8 and Win 7 or 8.
    Does anybody have experience on this?

Greetings,
    Ben

2. Daniel450D

Daniel450D Bit poster

Hi Ben,

I'm using the MBP 13" Retina with Parallels 8, Windows 7 and Office 2010.
    Most of the applications work fine, e.g. Outlook, Word and Powerpoint. But I've got same problems with Excel. If I work with Pivot tables, it isn't possible to set up same arguments there. I opened a thread in this forum, but until now, no resolution:
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=271172

3. Ben999

Ben999 Bit poster

Hi Daniel,

Many Thanks for your reply!
    Sounds like a weird problem with the pivots, is that really related to retina?
    Did you experience other problems with excel?

Greetings,
    Ben

4. Daniel450D

Daniel450D Bit poster

Hi Ben,

I disabled the DPI scale in Excel, but it doesn't help.
    I let check my brother this scenario this weekend, he've got a MBP without Retina.

And that's the only problem I've got. Everything else works fine, also the VBA editor. And by the way: If I use excel lists bigger than 60 MB, the Office for MAC is quite slower than the Office for Windows! I don't know why ;-)

5. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi Ben,

I used to use Parallels Desktop 8 Windows 7 VM running Ms Office 2010 on my personal MBP Retina 15" and I didn't observe any issues with any app including Excel.

Daniel,

The issue you described in the other thread doesn't seem to be Retina related, I'll reply there.

6. Ben999

Ben999 Bit poster

Many thanks!

7. bijanm

bijanm Bit poster

Hi,

I also have a MBP Retina (as does my office mate) and we use Excel on a daily basis and we are both running into the SAME issue. They issue only seems to be related to Pivot Tables. However, without having this feature, using Microsoft Excel is virtually useless to us.

Please advise on how we can fix this. Be more than happy to work with anyone from the support team to get this fixed

Thank you

8. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Please use this article to find the best settings for you:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/114700