Coherence with OS X (Server) guests

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Sven G, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sven G

Sven G Member

Coherence mode doesn't seem to work with OS X (Server) guests, in the latest Parallels Desktop 8 (and with the Parallels Tools installed), despite being available, both from the VM's window border (next to the full screen button) and from the menu bar.

I have tried with OS X 10.8, OS X 10.7 and OS X 10.6 Server guests, but the result is always the same: after entering Coherence mode, for example, a Finder - or another application's - window in the guest won't become visible directly on the host's desktop, as it should be; instead, nothing happens, i.e., no window appears, even after waiting for some seconds.

Thus, is Coherence known to be broken, in practice, with OS X (Server) guests? Has anyone succeeded in making it work?

Will this be fixed soon?

Of course, it would be cool if it really worked, eventually...

Edit: I tried again, and now sometimes it works, sometimes not (with an error message); there are also graphical glitches, such as the guest's desktop reverting to a grey background and also grey shadows on the guest's dock icons while in Coherence mode; also, the guest's menu bar and dock remain visible while in Coherence mode.

Definitely something that should be improved upon, both globally and in detail...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. Sven G

Sven G Member

I forgot the specs of the host system: a Mac mini from 2010, with a Core 2 Duo processor, an NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics card and 8 GB of RAM (with 2 GB for each VM, with default settings for everything, except bridged networking).

3. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi there,

Coherence is not officially supported for Mac OS X guests for now. See page 154 of the User Guide.
    Parallels Development team is constantly working on enhancements and I passed your feedback on to them.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013