SWTOR support : The best move

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by OlivierJ, Sep 2, 2011.

1. OlivierJ

OlivierJ Bit poster

Given that SWTOR is one of the next premium games released, with a great potential of #players (and Mac users are MMORPG players) I think that one of the major virtualisation software for mac that can run it with correct framerate will win the virtualisation game for some time ...

So please, Parallels guys, make that happen !

2. BentonJ

BentonJ Bit poster

+1

My WoW guild looks like it might be moving en masse to SWTOR. I hate rebooting to bootcamp to play a game, because most of my life is on the Mac side and I feel cut off.

3. dohdoh

dohdoh Bit poster

I'd like to say...

I ran the beta using Parallels 7... it worked nicely actually.

I'm on a Macbook Pro 17" early 2011, 2.2ghz i7, 8gb ram, Radeon 6750 1gb.

I put 2 CPUs to the VM, and 4gb of ram, running Win7 Pro 64bit.

I had to run Windows fullscreen, and turn OFF SmartMouse as it totally screws up the mouse... but with it turned off it worked fine.

I was running the game with all options maxed out with Bloom and Shadows off, at 1680x1050, and I averaged anywhere from 30 to 40 fps.

Very impressive and not something I thought Parallels would be able to do.

4. BentonJ

BentonJ Bit poster

Thanks! That makes sense, you're giving the whole machine to SWTOR. It's almost like Bootcamping at that point.

5. dohdoh

dohdoh Bit poster

Half my ram... 2 CPUs of the 4 physical (8 counting hyperthreading)... its not really the whole computer. I'm still using iTunes, checking email, web browsing, etc... just a four finger swipe away in OSX and I'm noticing no slow downs. I do not use Bootcamp solely because I'm not willing to give up OSX while playing a game.

I'm the creator/maintainer of Wineskin (http://wineskin.doh123.com/) and I try to use that for Windows gaming, but Parallels 7 is always my only backup to that. It usually has worse performance, but its much more compatible and likely to actually work. Parallels 7 is a great stride in virtual machines though... so much better than its competition and previous versions, I find myself using it quite a bit for many things.

During early SWTOR beta I was able to get a Wineskin port working that still had a few issues (its currently broken with changes to server selection and log in) but I was mainly blown away that Parallels is currently running the game better than I could get it running with Wineskin, and Wineskin doesn't have the overhead of running a whole emulated computer along with a whole other OS. Parallels is very impressive, and I'm hoping for even more from them in the future.

Until some Wine issues get fixed, I'll pretty much only be playing the game with Parallels... and after that continue to do so if it keeps giving higher performance.

6. BentonJ

BentonJ Bit poster

Oh! I didn't realize the higher end MacBook Pros were quad core now. My 15 inch from 2010 is only dual core.

And my life is on OSX, I know what you mean by not giving that up to play a game.

7. byoung

byoung Bit poster

SWTOR Windows fullscreen config

What is the config for windows fullscreen? I'm new to parallels and am mostly running it so my nine year old daughter can play SWTOR.

What we've seen so far...
    Regular full screen: If we try to adjust camera angle, mouse freaks out and spins like crazy
    Turn off SmartMouse: Mouse pointer disappears
    Try running Windows 7 in a Parallels window: Mouse still disappears.

Everyone else seems to be able to work in the window'ed mode.

If someone can tell me what I am doing wrong, I'd get to be a hero to a very happy nine year old :)

I think my system should be more than able to handle it:
    Mac Pro 2010 Mid 2010
    Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Memory 8 GB
    ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
    Parallels 7 (all patches installed)
    Windows 7

8. EdGonz

EdGonz Junior Member

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. SWTOR is a hit or miss game with Parallels at this time. I have given the same resources to my VM and mouse/camera still spins out of control. Lag/performance in game is too high to make the game enjoyable.
    I'm sure there will be an update to Parallels that will address some of these issues. In the meantime, personally I use Bootcamp to play this game.

9. CDWpod

CDWpod Bit poster

Will I be able to run SWTOR with Parallels?

Hi all, I'm just wondering how well my machine would run SWTOR?
    I use Parallels 7 with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a mid 2010 imac with:
    - Intel Core i3 processor, 3.06 GHz
    - 8 GB ram
    - ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256mb VRAM

At the moment I assign Parallels 4gb ram and 2 CPUs, and everything I've done on it (only League of Legends gaming wise) has worked fine.
    I also have no problem running WoW smoothly on OS X.
    Cheers if you can help, need to find out whether its worth trying to get SWTOR :).
    Chris,

10. EdGonz

EdGonz Junior Member

It plays well in Bootcamp, but using Parallels ... well, its a hit or miss right now.

11. patfoley

patfoley Bit poster

Having Problems Installing SWTOR

Every time I try to install (either auto run or setup), I get this in my log. I am not sure why I am seeing "cancel pressed during language select". I never get the option....

[Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] STAR WARS: The Old Republic v1.00.0.1 installer ran
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] CallParameters=[/src="D:"]
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] Command-line language=
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] System Default Language ID=1033
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] Supported OS Language=en
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] ProgramLocation from registry [SOFTWARE\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic] [Install Dir]=[]
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] If Empty() then Peeking into \data\installmanifest_ru.ini
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] no command-line language set
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] LANGUAGE_SELECT_RANDOMIZE=0
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] nsisBWLangSelect::LangSelect R1=0 R2=0 R3=0
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] nsisBWLangSelect::LangSelect returned 0
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] Cancel pressed in language select.
    [Monday Jan 02 17:54:04 2012] STAR WARS: The Old Republic quit

12. EdGonz

EdGonz Junior Member

Are you running the install as an administrator?

13. patfoley

patfoley Bit poster

Yes, sir, running as Administrator. It appears to start to run from the disc, then just stops and I see that log entry. I tried downloading the client from the SWTOR site, and I get the same message. I was able to load from disc to a windows machine, so I am baffled how this could be different....any thoughts would be helpful.

14. mdavidpackard

mdavidpackard Bit poster

I am getting the same error... would love to try the game, but no go so far...

15. EdGonz

EdGonz Junior Member

I basically gave up on playing games in an emulation environment. I bought a copy of Win7 and I'm using Bootcamp to play the games I like. WoW, Diablo 3 and GW 2 are the only games I play with a somewhat native OS X client.

I even tried CrossOver and seems to be better than Parallels. I'm disappointed at Parallels as well, but anyhow...

16. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team