Ubuntu vs Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cefn, Jun 14, 2007.

1. cefn

cefn Junior Member

I experimentally installed Ubuntu whilst telling Parallels it was Windows.

I was wondering if the hardware profile exposed to Ubuntu was any richer for VMs flagged as being Windows, compared those flagged as being Ubuntu.

The installation went fine and I have a functioning Ubuntu build (Feisty)

Now trying to find any information about what the differences are between the various OS profiles. Can I switch back to saying it's an Ubuntu VM now, or is this too late and irreversible? What difference does it make? Is this documented somewhere?

2. cynic

cynic Member

Actually this is a very interesting question in my opinion.
    Unfortunately I cannot answer it though I am also very interested in the answer.

3. kat

kat Product Expert

I only have 2 questions.

Were Parallels tools automatically installed?

Does it hang up on closing?

thanks,
    kat

4. Relan

Relan Parallels Developers

> Now trying to find any information about what the differences are between the various OS profiles.

The differences are pure technical and they are at very low level. In general if you set a proper profile it can increase performance of a virtual machine on some computers. Or it can fix some bad behaviour of a guest OS. For example Windows 95 guest always eats 100% of CPU even when idle, it's a Microsoft fault. Setting proper profile fixes this.

Unfortunately I can't tell you any technical details because it's a part of our technology and so it's not documented, but you are free to experiment. :)

> Can I switch back to saying it's an Ubuntu VM now, or is this too late and irreversible?

Sure you can, it does not make any irreversible changes. But if you experience any problems, note that switch to proper guest profile can fix it.