Microsoft Office Re-activation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Ungenious, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

While Windows XP seemingly works now w/out re-activating, shouldn't Microsoft Office do likewise? And any other software (which is a lot) that checks for hardware changes?

As of now, I can use MS Office in Boot Camp, but not Parallels (it tells me to re-activate the product).

-Me

2. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

No, apparently not. Except for Windows XP and Vista(?), all other softwares that requires activation and check for hardware changes will ask for reactivation when you switch between Boot Camp and Parallels, as far as I know.

My recommendation is not to use these softwares on both platforms. If you must, use them on one only. These softwares are not designed with virtualization in mind.

For me, I will avoid these softwares as far as possible. If I have to use Microsoft Office, for example, then I use Office 2000, which does not have activation. And actually I seldom use Office, for my word processing needs WordPerfect and OpenOffice are good enough.

And for pirates, they won't have such problems since they can use cracks available on the internet to crack these activation schemes. I once tried an activation crack for Adobe Photoshop CS2 just to see if it works, and it worked great. Not to encourage piracy, but isn't it ironic that pirates won't have such problems?:mad:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  3. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Yes it is ironic.

MATLAB still requires a CD-ROM in the drive, whereas the pirates do not need to remember to bring a large & fragile piece of plastic everywhere they need to work (or study). I paid and now I'm screwed if I forget my disc.

No good deed goes unpunished.

-Me

4. macosnerd

macosnerd Member

I suppose you can use less functional older software that does not use activation like 007 recommends or you can just let it activate. I have the home version of office and it let me activate cleanly and hassle free on both my boot camp and my parallels instances.

I guess if you want to truly avoid activation there's always windows 3.1 and office 98. :D

These rants against activation are typically FUD as most people have never had a problem with it and even in the off chance it fails you, the process provides a phone number for you to call and get an activation number. That is if you own it, you'll be able to use it and why avoid using the latest and greatest features because of fear of activation. Seems kind of silly to me.

5. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Hardware tied activation is in a lot of software. Including IDE's, other development software, and even mainstream software like Alcohol 120%. I do have an old version of Office (2003), but I guess it's not old enough. And calling to get an activation # every time I switch from Boot Camp to Parallels is not my idea of easy enough.

While I'm exceedingly happy that your activation is working & that you're happy with Windows 3.1 or Office 98 to solve my solutions, I think I may look for an alternate answer from someone who is genuinely trying to help.

I thought my post was considerably accurate as I've seen many many complaints on MATLAB requiring a CD, and I didn't think it was a 'rant'.

Not sure what FUD means, but if you look at this Parallels forum you will note how many are "activation" related, whether it be Windows XP, Vista, Office, or Parallels itself. It doesn't seem very silly to me, but I suppose I can see how it'd be funny to tell someone to go use Windows 3.1 when they have a problem.

-Me

6. macosnerd

macosnerd Member

Sorry the FUD was more directed towards 007 as he seems particularly vocal about software that requires activation.

By the way FUD = Fear Uncertanity and Dread.

Its all cool, and that's what's great about competition, especially open source. You don't like using office, then switch to a competing product :)

7. Ungenious

Ungenious Member

Yeah I switched... to Mac... and now I need Parallels to run Office as NeoOffice is slow as. I'm waiting for iWork 07 to come out as it's supposed to have a competing product vs. Excel in it... until then nothing seems near as professional, regardless of the droves of Mac-using researchers drooling for new spreadsheet software. And ofcourse hopefully it's fully compatible with the status quo (Excel).

Yeah competition is great..... and... I'll save grumbles about Microsoft underhanded business practices for another time another place.

-Me

8. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

I am certainly happy you find activation to be no hassle.

Perhaps I should make my point clearer. If you use Boot Camp and Parallels, and you activate software like Microsoft Office 2003/2007 under Boot Camp, and then you attempt to run it under Parallels, you will be asked to reactivate.

This reactivation may be granted to you if you make a phone call. But what about the next time you return to Boot Camp and want to run it? Another reactivation request, once when you switch platforms. Do you think you will be given the reactivation code whenever you ask for it? What if the company decides that you are a possible pirate and denies you the reactivation code because you have attempted to reactivate so many times? I am not sure if anyone actually experiences such a situation, but I can see a problem if the reactivation code is denied.

I personally had a similar experience in the days when I was using a retail version of Windows XP on my PC (Now I use a Corporate version with no activation.). I upgraded my hardware in my PC periodically (CPU, RAM etc.) and it was only a matter of time before reactivation was triggered. The first time I contacted Microsoft HK it was OK and a reactivation code was given without too many questions. But the second time I was literally told I won't be given another code since "I had attempted to reactivate too many times". After some hassle they did give me another code but I was not very happy about this. And I started to wonder: what if they ultimately refuse to give me another code? Does this mean I have to buy another copy? No way! I thought.

All this is why I actively avoid softwares with activation as I do not want to deal with such a possibility. By the way, in the case of Microsoft Office 2003/2007, I definitely find nothing of value that makes me feel it is worthwhile to pay to upgrade, so I use Office 2000 if I have to use Office. Likewise with Windows Vista.

And to the OP, I am sorry if my answer is not what you want. However, this is the current situation. Unless the software companies in question cooperate with Parallels to work out a solution (like in the case of Windows XP) then you will continue to have this problem if you frequently switch between Boot Camp and Parallels, if you insist on using or need to use these softwares. My best advice is to use them on one platform (Boot Camp or Parallels) only, and not both.

[​IMG]

9. macosnerd

macosnerd Member

Well all I'm saying is that's exactly my setup. I have boot camp and parallels. Both installed and activated cleanly and hassle free (no phone needed). I also went on to mention that even in the off chance you have to call, you will be able to activate it over the phone since the license is for a single computer and that's what we are doing.

To date of all of the posts on various mac forums regarding problems with reactivation be it windows or office, can count on one hand and of those, once the person mentioned its for the same computer it was resolved.

Seems to me people complain about how problematic activation could be but so far the evidence has not support that supposition.

10. Ungenious

Ungenious Member