Parallels Admin: Is it possible to filter / killfile threads by User?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by leoofborg, Jun 14, 2007.

1. leoofborg

leoofborg Junior Member

Parallels forum Admin:

I will not name the user in question, but her threads add nothing to the Parallels discussion and just fan more flames.

Is there a way on your board to killfile all originating threads and replies [and reply threads] by this user???

Please!!

Yes. I have issues with your product. Yes, they are minor and it's not the end of the world. I believe in letting the developers be [oh, and they're at WWDC, right??] and concentrating on fixing the bugs, not assigning blame.

NO. I do not want to see this users posts when I login to the forums. They do not solve my problems, nor anyone elses. I'm here for DEVELOPMENT, not non sequitor legal threats, arguments, etc.

If you feel this post does not help, please feel free to delete it just like ALL THE OTHER MAJOR VENDORS DO. Sorry for the allcaps, but Apple does this too.

Regards...

Leo
    http://expatleo.wordpress.com/

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Click on the user's name in the left panel. That will bring up a new page and on that page you can choose to ignore posts from that user.

3. raka

raka Junior Member

I agree with leoofborg. All these negative Posts about that. For me, Parallels 3.0 (4128) works fine. And yes, the Software has some Bugs. Anyway, the Parallels Team doing a great Job to make this Software better and better. Thank You!

4. jmaluso

jmaluso Junior Member

I agree with leoofborg 100%

5. macosnerd

macosnerd Member

So you're asking parallels to censor the board for posts that you deem little value.

I guess censorship is a great to build customer loyalty and customer service :confused:

6. jmaluso

jmaluso Junior Member

It is a feature that is built-in to the bulletin board. You can add people to your ignore list...you can do this on many other bulletin boards as well.

7. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Adding users as moderators is not unheard of, but I don't think it is a good idea in this case.

It would mean that Parallels would have to allow users (i.e. people they have never met) to control what feedbaack they get from the public. This would be a bad thing, IMHO.

8. eriqthegeek

eriqthegeek Member

You can ignore the individual posts from that user, but unfortunately it doesn't seem you can ignore threads started by that user, which would also be handy.

I don't think anybody's asking Parallels to censor ... but it would be convenient to be able to employ a little filtering to lower the noise level generated by certain folks.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That just means it's left to any of us to show some self control. Nobody but you has your mouse in their hand.

10. macosnerd

macosnerd Member

That's exactly what the OP is asking
    So all threads created by this person and replies are to be deleted and also the way the OP wrote it seems threads in which this person responded should go too, though I'm not totally sure that's he's saying.

11. eriqthegeek

eriqthegeek Member

@dkp, for me it's not a matter of self control. I have no problem just reading that person's posts (and I haven't for a couple of days now -- they were kind of amusing at first but after awhile just repetitive, boring and a tad annoying). It's just a matter of saving time... there are so many threads on this board that it would be "nice" to be able to do a little bit of filtering so that I don't even have to wade through a thread that has very little chance of being constructive or really informative in any way. Again, I'm not asking this person to be censored (nor was the OP, I think), just wishing that I could do some automated filtering on my end. If I can't, it's not the end of the world, but if the ability is there - I'd like to know about it. :)

@macosnerd, Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but a "killfile", IIRC, is something that goes back to Usenet news reader clients. It's a list of users whose posts will automatically be discarded by your newsreader. I guess you can call it censorship, but its censorship on the individual client's side. IOW, you are NOT actually removing the post from the newsgroups, but you are filtering them on your client so you personally don't have to see them. Anybody else who wants to read their diatribes still can, so IMO it's not really "censorship".

The forum software Parallels offers the same kind of feature, for ignoring posts from a user, but I think the OP was asking if there was a way to ignore entire threads created by that user as well.

I've rarely ever used this type of feature, but every once in awhile, it sure comes in handy.