Disk Tool to expand hard disk in Beta 6?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by netdog, May 2, 2006.

1. netdog

netdog Hunter

Hi,

I desperately need to expand my disk from 4096GB without deleting the data that I have. Is this tool not yet included as of Beta 6 or am I just too thick to find it? I looked in my Parallels tools and found only a means to compact the disk. If this tool is not yet included, any projection as to when we will have such a tool to use?

Cheers!

Thomas

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

You can use Image Tool. It should resides in your Mac OS X application folder besides with main Parallels application.

3. netdog

netdog Hunter

Thank you :)

4. Simurgh

Simurgh Bit poster

When I expanded the hard drive, it says the new size in the Parallels UI, but the Properties information on the C drive in the Windows guest OS still says the original size..

5. tj4shee

tj4shee Member

Yes, I noticed the same thing.... it does not appear that the Image Tool is actually changing the partition map.... so the additional space is not really extending the primary partition as is actually needed.....

Luckily I have Partition Magic and was able to change the size of the partition within Windows XP.

6. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

If you read through the forums you'll see this topic has been discussed in detail.
    The PW Image Tolls does indeded expand the HD image size but you still need a tool to move blank space into this new image to expand it. Use a tooll like presizer that boots off a DOS floppy and expands the image, or buy Patition Magic. Read through the forums for more information.